Community Header
< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS

What did you use for sunscreen as a child??

Started by Teaching Tiny Tots , author of Teaching Tiny Tots Blog — 7/27/2012 8:14:31 AM

Growing up in Hawaii the beach was a frequent visit and I remember when I was young my mom put on Coppertone.  But when I was a teenager trying to get a tan...many of us used Hawaiian Tropic pure oil...yikes!  I can still imagine that coconut smell. 

I think I may have even used Baby oil...

This was before the awareness of what sun damage could do.

I even looked up Hawaiian Tropic and they still sell the Dark Tanning Oil 0 spf! 

Share Conversation

Embed
+ Login to choose updates by email

Replies

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6

Oh, I remember using baby oil on top of the sun lotion....  Wouldn't dream of it now, though!

We used Coppertone sometimes and one that didn't get adverstised...  Ad-free?  No, wait, I think it was called No-Ad.  Something like that. 

""

Reply by Teaching Tiny Tots

author of Teaching Tiny Tots Blog — 7/30/2012 7:17:53 AM

I think many people used baby oil!!  

OneMommy's profile picture
OneMommy said ...
Oh, I remember using baby oil on top of the sun lotion....  Wouldn't dream of it now, though!

""

Reply by Cortney

author of The Mommyhood Project 7/30/2012 10:07:15 AM

We always had the Coppertone kid's stuff - with fair Scandinavian skin, it was a must if I didn't want to burn!

I never remember using anything even though we probably should but my kids do wear sunscreen today.

""

Reply by Diana

8/8/2012 5:19:28 PM

I know I used to use baby oil!! So crazy. I do remember the Coppertone but I don't think it was as much of an issue as it is these days. I guess we learn from our mistakes :)

""

Reply by Teaching Tiny Tots

author of Teaching Tiny Tots Blog — 8/9/2012 1:42:23 PM

I think that the deterioration of the ozone probably has a lot to do with why it's so important now to use sunscreen;

http://www.skincancer.org/prevention/uva-and-uvb/ozone-and-uv-where-are-we-now

Diana's profile picture
Diana said ...
I know I used to use baby oil!! So crazy. I do remember the Coppertone but I don't think it was as much of an issue as it is these days. I guess we learn from our mistakes :)

Reply to Conversation

-OR-

Join & Reply Switch to the simple version

< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS