Community Header
< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS

What's the best thing about living in the country?

Started by Nancy , author of A Rural Journal 9/24/2010 6:55:07 AM

I love living beyond the city lights.  It's so peaceful, quiet and private.  You can hear the wind blow, the birds sing, the rooster crow.  I wouldn't change it for the world. 

Share Conversation

Embed
+ Login to choose updates by email

Replies

Viewing 1 - 10 of 19
""

Reply by debi

author of collecthappy1953 Store 10/7/2010 1:01:25 PM

I love the quiet, too. I love to sit outside and see the stars, the planes flying so high, you can only see the blink, having a bonfire out back, and roasting marshmallows. We don't hear any roosters, but the coyotes cry at night out by the creek, and twice a year the long horned owl has her baby, and she hoots the night away. We have only 47 homes in town, and we are the only house on our block, with a grass field on one side, crops to the south of our property line, and the town starts across the road from us. Fifteen miles from the closest store, and there is no reason to even come through our town unless you are a visitor, or a farmer.  I love it, too. 

""

Reply by yvonne

10/9/2010 10:26:56 AM

We live on 10 acres, 30 minutes from town and I agree with you both that living in the country is very peaceful. Debi, I also love the sounds of coyotes as I consider them God's lullaby and love to listen to them sing me to sleep in the summer.

The stars are so very clear here, like millions of diamonds of all shapes and sizes, especially in the winter where they seem closer to us. We see the Norther Lights here in all their colors and glory. The colder it is, the more colorful the lights seem to be. We whistle, clap, whatever to make noise outside and the lights seem to dance and perform for us. It's truly breathtaking!

Our adult daughter and her two girls, ages 4 and 6 moved in with us after the abusive relationship she was in disintegrated, PRAISE GOD, and to see these little ones with such freedom out here, not having to worry about neighbors, crime, where their next meal is coming from, etc is a true blessing!

""

Reply by Janet

author of The 3R Ranch 10/18/2010 3:05:50 PM

Less traffic, not that we have a lot of traffic around here anyway, but I'd much rather drive on a two-lane, country road than on "racetrack" interstates that make city life even more hectic. 

""

Reply by Nancy

author of A Rural Journal 10/20/2010 1:09:14 PM

Janet, I so agree with you.  I feel a sense of peace when I finally reach the gravel road.  No more loonies!

""

Reply by Christine

author of Crafty Geordi 1/8/2011 9:48:39 PM

Everything! The country is so peaceful. I don't like having to live too near to other people. I don't want anyone driving too fast past my house, I don't want to hear their music or have them seeing my habits and judging me. I live in a small ag town but my house is in a subdivision. I cannot wait to be able to afford my own little plot where I can have my horse at home and let my dogs run around!

""

Reply by Nancy

author of Walking the Walk 1/8/2011 9:52:22 PM

I love living out of town. We have 3.5 acres about 2 miles outside city limits. Just far enough to enjoy the peace and quiet, but still a quick trip in to town. Best of both worlds.

""

Reply by Nicole Rivera

author of Searching for Sustenance 1/8/2011 10:12:07 PM
I love this discussion! I don't live in the country, but sometimes wish I did. You guys are giving me part of the response to a question I just posted earlier tonight:
http://theblogfrog.com/1500935/forum/73454/where-do-you-live-and-why-do-you-love-it.html
AWESOME.You are all reminding me how important it is for me to spend more time in the country whenever I get a chance! I live 30 minutes from an International Airport - airplane noises and lights are background noise. Stars are clearer in the winter, but I can't see many :( in fact, my husband and I were struck by darkness last week when one of our street lights went out on the side of our house - I realized then that I had forgotten what TRUE darkness looks like!
Keep posting!!
~Nicole from NYC :)

""

Reply by Nancy

author of A Rural Journal 1/11/2011 6:15:17 AM

Christine and Nancy, I so agree! The quiet is what I like.

""

Reply by Patrice

author of Everyday Ruralty 1/12/2011 4:59:04 PM

I love having the room to have animals. I also like not being right next door to another house. Before I moved to the farm, I could hear the neighbors fighting all night. I love raising my kids on the farm.

""

Reply by Linda

author of ZippityZerns (My Turn) 1/17/2011 11:50:57 PM

I love being able to make a midnight run to the barn, wearing my rubber giraffe print boots, my red footy pajamas, all topped off with a ratty yellow bathrobe, and nobody cares--also bonfires. The day some "official" tells me I can't have a bonfire is the day I pack my rubber boots and head for the hills. Oops, I mean the swamps.  I live in Florida.   

Reply to Conversation

-OR-

Join & Reply Switch to the simple version
Please review the rules of this community before posting:

Play nice. That's all I ask.

< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS