Community Header
< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS

No Sugar Challenge

Started by Amy , author of The Finer Things in Life 10/21/2009 8:20:27 AM
So, it seems that everywhere I turn I'm hearing that sugar is a HUGE immune weakener.  Bummer!  ;-)  I'm thinking about trying a "no sugar" challenge.  Anyone want to join me?  Even if you can't give it up completely (don't know if I can!) we can help each other reduce our sugar consumption.  Who's in?! 

Share Conversation

Embed
+ Login to choose updates by email

Replies

Viewing 1 - 10 of 12
""

Reply by Kelly

author of Wisdom Begun 10/21/2009 8:22:31 AM
I'm in, Amy!  I am assuming you mean refined sugars like in junk foods?

Yes!  Definitely refined sugars.  And hopefully we can all share natural, healthy sweetener ideas. 

""

Reply by Phoebe

author of Cents To Get Debt-Free 10/21/2009 8:34:38 AM
We've already eliminated a lot of our refined sugars..but we could still stand to cut out some more. Count me in!

""

Reply by Susan

10/21/2009 8:41:34 AM
I'm in! This is something that my husband and I were going to start and include our 3 children in with us. We can use all the support we can get!

Here is a link to a great blog post about a mom and daughter that took on this challenge also
Heart-to-Heart with Diane - I Love Sugar. In the post they recommend a great book Suicide by Sugar. I am planning to purchase this book to help me with my No Sugar Challenge.

I've been off sugar for one month.  The first couple days were the very worst.  I had the most horrible headache.  It pretty much convinced me that white sugar is just like a drug that I was having terrible withdrawals from.  Now, I don't even really want it.  Fruit is a great way to satisfy a "sweet" craving! :)

I would love to participate in this.  How would the challenge work?  It would be fun to have some guidelines and we can report back here in your community with how things are going.  I would love to hear ideas from other moms about how to motivate your kids to participate. 

Guidelines would be good.  :)  Anyone want to help out with that?  Let's get our thoughts together this week and I'll write up an intro post over the weekend.  I need resources, natural sugar alternatives, guest posts from those of you who are already doing this, links to other posts with sugar info, etc.

I'm thinking we could check in nightly with our total refined sugar consumption (when I have to keep track of something I'm always likely to use less) and share natural sugar recipes, etc. 

Any and all input is welcome.  We'll launch over the weekend!

""

Reply by Sherry

author of Lamp Unto My Feet 10/21/2009 9:47:18 AM
This would be a great challenge! :D  Just make sure not to start until I'm back home. LOL!  We should be home this weekend. :D

""

Reply by The Happy Housewife

author of The Happy Housewife 10/21/2009 11:41:17 AM
I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines! I would love to quit sugar, but this isn't a good time for me, lol!
Toni

""

Reply by JessieLeigh

author of Parenting the Tiniest of Miracles 10/24/2009 6:38:58 AM
I'll be cheering along with Toni- SO much respect for all of you as you embark on this, but I know myself and I'm not ready to take this step.:)

Reply to Conversation

-OR-

Join & Reply Switch to the simple version

< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS