Community Header
< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS

I Love Giving Birth

Started by Kim , author of Prairie Mama Prairie Mama 9/21/2011 2:00:11 AM

When I was a teenager, I knew that I would want drugs when I had a baby.  My favorite thing to say was, "God gave man the smarts to invent drugs for a reason.  Stick that needle in my back and give me relief!"

When I found myself pregnant with my first child however, I my tune was different.  My sister had two homebirths, and while I knew I would NEVER do that (never say never) she had really good experiences both times.  My sister-in-law had just had a baby two years earlier in a birth center, and I thought that was such a great alternative.

I had researched and knew exactly how I wanted birth to be.  I knew that I would have a natural, drug-free birth with a Certified Nurse Midwife in the hospital.  I knew my baby would be born gently, peacefully and would nurse right away.

What I didn't plan on was her being footling breech and not turning.  At 37 weeks 3 days my water broke and my baby was born via C-Section.

Hers was not the birth I had envisioned.  It was hard to accept and to recover from.  I never wanted another birth like it again.

I found myself pregnant 9 months later and knew this time would be different.  I did everything in my power to make sure my baby was not breech this time.

And he wasn't.  It was not a difficult pregnancy, he was in the perfect position for birth and everything was perfect.

Until the moment he was born, I would have told you my favorite part of pregnancy was feeling the baby move.

But, when the time came and my body told me to push, I realized I had a new favorite part of pregnancy.

Up until that point, I was not really actively doing anything to grow this baby.  I was eating, I was staying active, I was prepping mentally for labor, but there was nothing I was doing.

I remember feeling my baby descend through the birth canal and thinking, "I can't believe I am doing this. This is the most amazing feeling in the world".

My favorite part of pregnancy is giving birth.  Working with my baby and my body to bring them into the world.  The feeling of euphoria and relief when that sweet little person emerges from my body.  The tears, blood, pain, and going physically beyond anything I have ever experienced. 

It is where Heaven and Earth meet and I feel privileged to have experienced it 5 glorious times.

Becoming pregnant changed my life, and I’d love to hear more about your best or most difficult pregnancy moments. By replying, you will be entered to win an exclusive Million Moms Challenge Gift Pack, which includes an all expenses paid trip to a conference on mothers hosted by the UN Foundation in DC (Jan/Feb 2012), an iPad2, a custom-made Million Moms Challenge pendant and $50 donation in your name to Global Giving. Contest and prize details here.

Please join the Million Moms Challenge and sign up!

This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Million Moms Challenge. The opinions and text are all mine. Contest runs September 19 to October 16, 2011. A random winner will be announced by October 18, 2011. Official Contest Rules

Share Conversation

Embed
+ Login to choose updates by email

Replies

Viewing 1 - 10 of 10
""

Reply by Heather

9/22/2011 10:57:57 AM

For me, each pregnancy became harder and harder. I loved each moment of it with Hannah, loved it less but still was so excited with Connor, and then by the time Jack happened, I loathed every moment of it. I felt ungrateful, I felt depressed, I felt cheated...I wasn't ready emotionally to be pregnant again. My body was not ready to accept the responsibility of growing a child inside of it; I was the biggest I had ever been in my life and struggled with high blood pressure the entire time. We were uninsured and in debt and struggling to make ends meet (still are). To make matters worse, throughout the entire last month of that pregnancy with Jack, I had this overwhelming anxiety that caused more than one panic attack; I felt something bad was going to happen to me because of this delivery. I went into labor and was petrified...immediately out of the starting gate my nurse had to poke me more than once to get my IV in...that had never happened. My anxiety grew with each hour that passed...I missed my two children at home and wanted to be with them desperately. I was scared that I was going to die during childbirth and never get to see them again.

The epidural was horrible. It was the most excruciating pain ever felt, and I was a pro by this point...third time in...no big deal right? The anesthesiologist smacked his gum in my ear, took 45 minutes and more than one stick to get the thing in, and in the end, it failed me and I felt everything. I was mad. I was furious that I had put myself in that kind of danger (lets face it, it's a needle in your back) and it wasn't going to do it's job. I began to tense up, the pain worsened, I screamed and yelled...it hurt. Bad.

It was that moment that I realized there was no going back and it was do or...well...I could only do. I mentally got myself where I needed to be, looked the pain and fear in the face, and said "screw it" and began pushing. I could feel my son moving down the birth canal, and the pain got more intense, therefore so did my pushing. I focused and gripped my husband's hand tightly...this was it...the moment I had feared...I was giving birth unmedicated.

His head crowned and I felt it. I remember looking at Shane with wide eyes saying, "his head! it's out!" and then quickly refocused my attention on pushing the rest of him out. The moment he fully emerged and the pain was immediately gone, I looked down and stared into the eyes of a child that knew me. He immediately gave me comfort; this boy was meant to be in my arms right at that moment in time. Everything stopped for me, and there I was holding this child that I had denied existence in my mind for 9 months, and I felt his spirit telling me that it was OK, he was there for a reason, and that he loved me.

That was the most defining moment of my life. I had never experienced a "natural" childbirth...I never understood what women raved about when they chose to do it without medication. I knew I could never do that and would never do that willingly and I felt that my experience with my baby the moment I laid eyes on them was just as magical and just as euphoric. Boy, was I wrong.

I only knew this, felt this, understood this, with my third and last child; the child that was unplanned, and unwanted by his own mother. I am ashamed to admit these feelings to myself and others, that I did not want him. I loved him, yes, but the timing was all wrong and I couldn't think about loving another person when I had just given birth to Connor.

That is what I love about child birth; the way it changes you with each baby born. I grew up with my last labor and delivery. I became a different person, a different mother, and have much more appreciation for the women who naturally birth their children at home, in birthing centers, and hospitals. I feel as though my story is not as special as theirs because the pain probably wasn't nearly as intense (the epidural was there but had worn off) because I didn't experience the contractions and the pain until the very end. But, I know that I have that much more of an appreciation for women that can do this over and over and over again, like my mom, who birthed 5 babies, two of which were over 10 pounds, and never once had an epidural. That is amazing to me; I love knowing that I did this at least once and that God has a plan for me always. Giving birth has been different for me all three times, and each time has gotten better and more fulfilling. If I hadn't of ended up with eclapmpsia and HELLP syndrome after giving birth, I would go for a fourth and do it naturally. But, that's not an option for me and my body now; the danger is too real and too much to risk. Our bodies are amazing...and what we go through to have these kids is amazing, epidural or not.

""

Reply by Nicole

author of Mute Momma 9/22/2011 11:05:34 AM
The most difficult part of my pregnancy was having to wait 9 months. I was super lucky with no morning sickness or sore back! I was still at work when my water broke and as a lot of moms know that is when the real difficulty began. After 24 hours of labor I had to have a C-section to get my little boy out. I guess its true what they say- easy pregnancy; hard labor.

I have to agree birth is the most amazing part of it all. Maybe that is because I am not a pleasant pregnant women. Maybe because I am moments from holding one of the greatest gifts in the world.

This is so empowering. The female body is truly amazing. Great post!

""

Reply by Bekki

author of Bex Built A Family 9/23/2011 11:02:02 AM
I agree! Those moments in labor are truly amazing. I can recall thinking the same thing "I can't believe I'm doing this!"

""

Reply by Anna

author of girl with blog 9/23/2011 6:04:26 PM
So far, I've had a blessedly wonderful pregnancy. After a traumatic miscarriage last year, this pregnancy has been such a gift. I felt like I had the flu for the first 4 months, and now (in my 7th month) I am not sleeping very well and have hip discomfort. But overall? It's been great =)

""

Reply by Kate

author of Oregonian Jefferies 9/25/2011 3:42:35 PM
I am with ya! Birth is the best! That's not to say it isn't hard...because it is A LOT of work. But it is the best work I will ever get to do.

I really like your website.. quite good hues & theme. Did you create this internet site yourself? Plz reply back again as I?m looking to create my own weblog and would like to know wheere u received this from. many thanks

""

Reply by Liposuction yag aldirma

11/15/2012 10:03:03 AM
Thanks ...

Reply to Conversation

-OR-

Join & Reply Switch to the simple version
Please review the rules of this community before posting:

Let's have open and honest discussions, but please play nice and respect others opinions and feelings!

< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS