Community Header
< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS

Summer school work: Yea or Nay?

Started by Joanne , author of Suburban Life Journal 7/6/2012 3:04:58 PM

How do you feel about summer school work? Homeschoolers, do you take a summer break? Do you require your kids to keep up on certain things? Traditional schoolers, does your child have a workbook to complete? My daughter has a summer bridging book to complete which has 20 lessons per month. We have so much daily drama, anger and upset I wonder if the gain is worth the aggravation. There is usually one timeout per session due to the upheaval. What do you think? Should a break be a break?

Share Conversation

Embed
+ Login to choose updates by email

Replies

Viewing 1 - 7 of 7
""

Reply by Kathy

author of BlogFrog Blog — 7/13/2012 10:07:55 AM

This is a great question! I'm not a home schooler, but we definitely take a break. My kids love to read so I try to keep them engaged in that, but that's about it!

""

Reply by Joanne

author of Suburban Life Journal 7/13/2012 10:38:49 AM

Thanks for your reply, Kat! I am about ready to throw this book on our backyard fire pit. I think kids need a break. There are more fun, informal ways to keep them thinking and learning. We read alot during the summer too. I think these bridging books are for people who don't do anything with their kids. I personally don't know anyone like that.

""

Reply by Kathy

author of BlogFrog Blog — 7/13/2012 12:12:55 PM

Yep, follow your instincts! If you think the kids have had enough than it might be time to take a break! To the fire pit it goes! LOL!

Joanne's profile picture
Joanne said ...
Thanks for your reply, Kat! I am about ready to throw this book on our backyard fire pit. I think kids need a break. There are more fun, informal ways to keep them thinking and learning. We read alot during the summer too. I think these bridging books are for people who don't do anything with their kids. I personally don't know anyone like that.

""

Reply by Arlene

author of Flour On My Face 7/13/2012 4:17:03 PM

Stopping by via the BF Hop. My daughter who will be starting the 10th grade in August has summer work. She has a reading list and a couple of assignments to do over the summer. She is in advanced classes which has a lot to do with the amount of summer work she has.

I don't have a problem with it. I think it is important for the kids to read over the summer. I think summer work keeps them in school mode and makes it easier to get back into the swing of things once school starts.

Do you home school or is this workbook from a public school? I think 20 lessons per month is a bit much to expect over the summer. What grade is your daughter in?

""

Reply by Joanne

author of Suburban Life Journal 7/13/2012 5:25:04 PM

Thanks for stopping by, Arlene! My daughter is going into 2nd grade and attends a private school. The lessons are very short but the idea that she has to do it when she is supposed to be on summer break changes her mindset about it. She also had this from K to 1st and the books include monthly goal setting which we wracked our brains to do last year but are ignoring this year. I really don't think incoming first graders need to set monthly goals for themselves. I'm sure some would disagree. I just think learning over the summer can be unstructured and still be valuable.

""

Reply by May

author of Achieving Clarity 7/27/2012 5:33:16 PM

My kids went to a private school in the early grades.  There was a summer reading program that involved a major project for display at back to school night.

I that school three kindergartens who could read and love to read when they arrived.  When I finally pulled my kids from that school six years later none of them wanted to read at all. It took me two more years to get them back into books and reading for enjoyment.

Sometimes the reading and the learning needs to be informal and on the kids' terms.  They are naturally inquisitive so long as grown ups don't squelch it.

""

Reply by Joanne

author of Suburban Life Journal 7/27/2012 8:02:25 PM

Yep, that's what I'm talking about. Burnout. I'd like to avoid that.

Reply to Conversation

-OR-

Join & Reply Switch to the simple version

< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS