Community Header
< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS

Lemon Creme Pudding Recipe in Mason Jars

Started by Amy , author of Amy Bayliss 4/24/2012 9:30:10 AM

To me there is nothing more nostalgic than mason jars and COOL WHIP whipped topping. I can remember all of the yummy desserts grandma put together. They were sweet, yummy, and COOL WHIP creamy.

We used to go to a famous fast food (11 herbs and spices) chicken restaurant where they served a lemon parfait in a cup. I loved it so much that grandma would make it for us at home. I enjoyed her version so much more. To this day when I hear a spoon clank on the side of a jar I think of those days and smile.

It makes me happy to share those same moments with my kids. One of our favorites is Lemon Creme Pudding. Here is grandma's recipe:

• 2 lg eggs
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3 tablespoons arrowroot powder (or cornstarch)
  • 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
  • 2 cups buttermilk
  • 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
  • 1/3 cup lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup butter (not margarine)
  • COOL WHIP whipped topping
  • a couple of handfuls of Vanilla Wafers, crushed
  • small Mason Jars

Directions:

1. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs.
  2. In a medium sauce pan mix sugar, arrowroot powder, and flour. Stir in buttermilk and place pot on burner. Turn heat on medium and gently stir until it is simmering (about 12-15 minutes). Remove from heat.
  3. About a quarter cup at a time, whisk some of the buttermilk mixture into the eggs. Don't add too much at once or you will have scrambled eggs. Once the eggs and some of the buttermilk mixture are completely mixed add it all back to the pan with the rest of the buttermilk mixture.
  4. Add the lemon peel, lemon juice, and butter.
  5. Stir gently until a thick coating forms on the spoon. This takes about 5-7 minutes.
  6. Spoon the pudding into a glass bowl and refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
  7. Crush the vanilla wafers to a crumble and put a layer inside each jar.
  8. Spoon in a tablespoon of pudding.
  9. Add another layer of crumbs.
  10. Spoon in another tablespoon of pudding.
  11. Add a dollop of COOL WHIP whipped topping.
  12. Sprinkle with some lemon zest.
  13. Enjoy!

Do you have any favorite desserts from your childhood? Do you still enjoy them today? Reply below for a chance to win a KitchenAid mixer from COOL WHIP to create even more wonderful desserts!

Visit the COOL WHIP Facebook page to see more recipes and to share your own COOL WHIP creations!

Sponsored posts are purely editorial content that we are pleased to have presented by a participating sponsor. Advertisers do not produce the content. Official Sweepstakes Rules.

Share Conversation

Embed
+ Login to choose updates by email

Replies

Viewing 11 - 20 of 24
""

Reply by Amy

4/25/2012 4:00:15 PM

My fav dessert with coolwhip  is a strawberry trifle. I make layers with angel food cake, white chocolate pudding, and strawberries and I top with cool whip and ganish with chocolate covered strawberries..yummm

""

Reply by blog@skipperclan.com

author of Skipper Clan 4/25/2012 5:14:31 PM
I always loved my grandmothers red velvet cake and am so fortunate to have a copy of her recipe in her handwriting.

""

Reply by Stefanie

author of Beautiful Dreams 4/25/2012 5:42:24 PM
My favorite is banana pudding w/cool whip on top. always has been, always will be :)

""

Reply by Danielle

author of Organizational Hysteria 4/25/2012 8:26:58 PM
My mom always used to make chocolate chip cookies whenever it rained (in the California desert, it was just often enough but not all the time) I do them for the first snow of the season and first Spring rain. :-)

""

Reply by Tonja

4/26/2012 7:12:49 AM
I think anything with coolwhip on top is yummy! I have lots of favorite desserts, unfortunately. I love dessert every day, too. Let's see....there's brownies, cookies, pies and cakes. I think my fave as a kid was chocolate mousse pie with Cool Whip on top.

""

Reply by Manda

4/26/2012 8:25:56 AM
My mom used to make jello in fun wine glasses. I always thought it was so fun for her to bring me a wine glass full of jello! Plus, she would load it up with Cool Whip on top! I can't wait to make them for my kids :) Thanks! Amanda avalenti6936 at yahoo dot com

""

Reply by Jessica

4/26/2012 10:38:39 AM
It's definitely not an everyday dessert, but for my birthday one year instead of buying an icecream cake, my mom made one. It really meant a lot to me. We didn't have thr money to buy one but she knew I wanted one. It was delicious and one I'll never forget!

""

Reply by Debbie

author of Visit with the Queen Mommy 4/28/2012 5:55:09 AM
I do love pudding! I love making a quick dessert with a box of prepared sugar-free pudding, 8 oz softened cream cheese, and a container of Cool Whip. When I use the white chocolate pudding, it tastes like cheesecake!!!

hmmm this one sounds pretty good and may just have to be made VERY soon. We love anything chocolate in this house - yes even hubby is a chocoholic! I bought one of those mini pie makers (4 mini pies in 15 min kind) and I have been "experiementing" with different cakes (and fillings) in there - sometimes at a real mess when I put in too much batter.

""

Reply by Elena

4/28/2012 5:37:31 PM
I just love a good slice of cinnamon coffee cake, and that's what my grandma used to make when I came over for a weekend. Thanks for the opportunity!

Reply to Conversation

-OR-

Join & Reply Switch to the simple version

< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS