Community Header
< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS

Lemon Creme Pudding Recipe in Mason Jars

Started by Amy , author of Amy Bayliss 4/24/2012 9:30:10 AM

To me there is nothing more nostalgic than mason jars and COOL WHIP whipped topping. I can remember all of the yummy desserts grandma put together. They were sweet, yummy, and COOL WHIP creamy.

We used to go to a famous fast food (11 herbs and spices) chicken restaurant where they served a lemon parfait in a cup. I loved it so much that grandma would make it for us at home. I enjoyed her version so much more. To this day when I hear a spoon clank on the side of a jar I think of those days and smile.

It makes me happy to share those same moments with my kids. One of our favorites is Lemon Creme Pudding. Here is grandma's recipe:

• 2 lg eggs
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3 tablespoons arrowroot powder (or cornstarch)
  • 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
  • 2 cups buttermilk
  • 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
  • 1/3 cup lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup butter (not margarine)
  • COOL WHIP whipped topping
  • a couple of handfuls of Vanilla Wafers, crushed
  • small Mason Jars

Directions:

1. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs.
  2. In a medium sauce pan mix sugar, arrowroot powder, and flour. Stir in buttermilk and place pot on burner. Turn heat on medium and gently stir until it is simmering (about 12-15 minutes). Remove from heat.
  3. About a quarter cup at a time, whisk some of the buttermilk mixture into the eggs. Don't add too much at once or you will have scrambled eggs. Once the eggs and some of the buttermilk mixture are completely mixed add it all back to the pan with the rest of the buttermilk mixture.
  4. Add the lemon peel, lemon juice, and butter.
  5. Stir gently until a thick coating forms on the spoon. This takes about 5-7 minutes.
  6. Spoon the pudding into a glass bowl and refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
  7. Crush the vanilla wafers to a crumble and put a layer inside each jar.
  8. Spoon in a tablespoon of pudding.
  9. Add another layer of crumbs.
  10. Spoon in another tablespoon of pudding.
  11. Add a dollop of COOL WHIP whipped topping.
  12. Sprinkle with some lemon zest.
  13. Enjoy!

Do you have any favorite desserts from your childhood? Do you still enjoy them today? Reply below for a chance to win a KitchenAid mixer from COOL WHIP to create even more wonderful desserts!

Visit the COOL WHIP Facebook page to see more recipes and to share your own COOL WHIP creations!

Sponsored posts are purely editorial content that we are pleased to have presented by a participating sponsor. Advertisers do not produce the content. Official Sweepstakes Rules.

Share Conversation

Embed
+ Login to choose updates by email

Replies

Viewing 1 - 10 of 24
""

Reply by D'ana

4/24/2012 9:57:04 AM
You can't go wrong with a yummy piece of homemade angel food cake, fresh strawberries and a great big dollop of YUMMY cool whip on top. But one of my favorite desserts is something my aunt taught me how to make..... it's a Banana Split Cake and I think I might go home and whip one up tonight!!!! I could eat Cool Whip by itself :o)

""

Reply by Jeri

4/24/2012 10:03:06 AM
Amy, my family makes a recipe we like to call "Cookie Pudding." It is simply vanilla pudding over vanilla waffers with cool whip on top. We put it in the fridge until the cookies are soft. Simple and easy...but everyone who tastes it just loves it. JeriLynn

""

Reply by Julieanne

author of Joy In Our Journey.com - Home 4/24/2012 11:51:35 AM
My mom makes this delicious refrigerated lemon bar type of dessert. Haven't ever tasted anything like it anywhere else. Delicious! Julieanne http://www.JoyInOurJourney.com

""

Reply by Salinda

author of Comments for S as in Sam 4/24/2012 4:42:13 PM
We love Jello Poke Cake. My Grandmother always made it with Strawberry Jello and covered with Cool Whip!

""

Reply by Tracy

4/24/2012 5:02:48 PM
My step-grandad had this cake. I do not know the name of the cake, we just always referred to it as "Roger's Cake". It is SO rich and awesome, that it doesn't get made often. But when it does, it's gone really quick because everyone wants a piece of it. :)

""

Reply by Julie

author of Whimsical Words 4/24/2012 10:03:15 PM
One of my favorite is Peanut Butter Pie... and it uses cool whip!! :) Now I want a pieace right now!! :)

""

Reply by Melissa

4/25/2012 10:36:25 AM
Hmmm, My mom wasn't in to to making desserts! But one of our favorites around here is the Strawberry, Pretzel and whip Cream dessert, YUM!

""

Reply by Cindy

author of Consider It All Joy 4/25/2012 12:19:30 PM
If I had the time, it would be lemon pie with Cool Whip, but for everyday, just give me the bowl of cool whip and a spoon :)

""

Reply by Cathy

author of Palm Breeze Living 4/25/2012 12:47:12 PM
my fave dessert from childhood was my dads apple pie... my dad had a restaurant and made his own apple pie... his sisters recipe... He passed away sadly many years ago..but I will always remember that pie... one of my own fave easy summer desserts was COOL WHIP pie.. super easy...2 small cups of your fave yoghurt.... I love making it with strawberry yoghurt... mixed with one package of COOL WHIP whipped topping... slowly fold together. put into a graham cracker premade crust and garnish with diagnally sliced strawberries around rim. put in freezer for min 3 hrs... amazingly simple... and many think you have slaved over it for hours! Just before serving I usually use a 1/2 cp of a 2nd package of cool Whip and put thru frosting bag and tip and decorate with a few dollops in center of pie with a sprig of mint.. cathy b pbprojecthope at yahoo dot com palmbreezeliving dot blogspotdotcom @projecthope7

""

Reply by Ashley

4/25/2012 1:05:24 PM
Hmmm, there are a couple of good Cool Whip desserts I remember. One is a banana pudding made with Cool Whip mixed into the pudding along with sour cream--extra creamy goodness! The other is chocolate pudding mixed with Cool Whip then frozen to make an ice cream type dessert. Yummy, yum, yum!

Reply to Conversation

-OR-

Join & Reply Switch to the simple version

< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS