Community Header
< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS

Trying to go shampoo free

Started by Dawn , author of Daily Adventures of a Work at Home Mom 8/1/2012 1:22:46 AM

I came across a woman who shared her experience of going shampoo free and at first I wasn't sure, but after reading all she has to say about it and also the 1100 comments she has about it I decided to try it.  Women are saying their hair is so much healthier now! Besides shampoo has harsh chemicals that are supposed to not be healthy for you.

You wash your hair naturally with baking soda and water, the article was quite surprising to me.  I decided that I am going to try it so I started tonight.  So far so good, but she did say it may take a couple weeks for your hair to adjust.

Her post about it is here: http://simplemom.net/how-to-clean-your-hair-without-shampoo/

Share Conversation

Embed
+ Login to choose updates by email

Replies

Viewing 1 - 10 of 17
""

Reply by Cortney

author of The Mommyhood Project 8/1/2012 5:20:20 PM

That's interesting! I only shampoo my hair once a week - but that's more because I'm lazy about washing/drying/doing my hair than anything else and I've been able to get away with it.

""

Reply by Ugochi

author of Teshuva 8/2/2012 11:53:54 AM

Wow! I wouldn't mind trying it, though it sounds reeeeeaaalllllly scary!

I am definately shampoo free..I have been for about 5 years now :)  Love it!  I was going to write a post about it but thought folks might be grossed out..but what people don't know is how harsh all of those chemicals are on there hair :(

Great topic Dawn!

Dawn's profile picture
Dawn said ...
You wash your hair naturally with baking soda and water, the article was quite surprising to me.  I decided that I am going to try it so I started tonight.  So far so good, but she did say it may take a couple weeks for your hair to adjust.

Cortney's profile picture
Cortney said ...
That's interesting! I only shampoo my hair once a week - but that's more because I'm lazy about washing/drying/doing my hair than anything else and I've been able to get away with it.

Ugochi's profile picture
Ugochi said ...

""

Reply by Kristen

8/3/2012 1:31:14 PM
I can't even imagine not shampooing my hair every day. It's long & straight... And becomes oily if it's not washed daily. What do people do if they seriously work out, or it's humid & your hair gets soaked?

I really like CLEAN:) I live on a farm... Cleaning up after tending to farmlife is very important to me;)

""

Reply by Ugochi

author of Teshuva 8/3/2012 1:35:15 PM

So Shari, you simply use normal bathing soaps?! Can you name some for me please!

shari's profile picture
shari said ...
 I am definately shampoo free..I have been for about 5 years now :)  Love it!  I was going to write a post about it but thought folks might be grossed out..but what people don't know is how harsh all of those chemicals are on there hair :(

""

Reply by Conni

author of Lady of Whimsy 8/3/2012 3:20:56 PM

yeah, my hair is the same way. it gets gross after 24 hrs. But my mother only washes hers once a week and seems fine. What gives?

Kristen's profile picture
Kristen said ...
I can't even imagine not shampooing my hair every day. It's long & straight... And becomes oily if it's not washed daily. What do people do if they seriously work out, or it's humid & your hair gets soaked?

I really like CLEAN:) I live on a farm... Cleaning up after tending to farmlife is very important to me;)

Believe it or not, my hair felt a little oily for the first 2 days.  It is getting much better now with the baking soda and water.  I also had to get apple cider vinegar because I only had red wine vinegar (which was working too.)  It hasn't been a full week yet and my hair is feeling better already :)

Ugochi's profile picture
Ugochi said ...

I almost forgot, your hair will not smell like vinegar once you rinse it.  My honey said my hair smelt quite good and he doesn't like the smell of vinegar.

Believe it or not, the shampooing process everyday is what causes your hair to become oily.  The harsh chemicals completely strip your hair of it's oils requiring conditioner.  Then your body produces more oil to replace it as well.  The whole process becomes a cycle.  I was iffy about trying it, but 4th day in and I didn't have to use the baking soda today.  First 3 days I used this and now today my hair felt a lot better.  The first 2 days my hair felt quite oily as it was adjusting, but now it is a world of better!

Kristen's profile picture
Kristen said ...

""

Reply by Kristen

8/4/2012 7:22:58 AM
I'd heard that about shampooing frequently... Hmmmm... Well, Dawn, you've made me think;)

Reply to Conversation

-OR-

Join & Reply Switch to the simple version
Please review the rules of this community before posting:

Community rules are simple: Respect for everyone in the community. Also, no vulgar language.

< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS