Community Header
< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS

The Terrible 2's...what makes them so terrible?

Started by MomIQ , author of MomIQ - Home 4/23/2012 1:14:14 PM

Toddlers are tough but we all know that 2 year olds are more than just tough! AND- No one ever told us that they often carry over to become the terrible 3's! What has been your experience with the "Terrible 2's"

Share Conversation

Embed
+ Login to choose updates by email
This conversation is part of the Mom IQ Network

Replies

Viewing 1 - 10 of 17
""

Reply by Laurie

4/23/2012 1:19:15 PM

Tem-per-Tan-trums! Awful Awful! Also, the use of the word "No".  That's fun as well.

""

Reply by MomIQ

author of MomIQ - Home 4/23/2012 1:53:27 PM

""

Reply by Danielle

author of piperloo 4/23/2012 3:24:35 PM

2's were a breeze compared to 3!!!!

We're just entering the 2's and the tantrums have definitely hit a ten, on a scale of I might be going crazy to I think I'm now officially crazy...lol

Also, I wish we could strike the word "no" from the vocabulary, just for the time being..oy.

It's like there is some magic button that goes off when they hit 2. I have found that it hit again when my daughter turned 6 and is still on at 7. LOL

Kas

I totally agree! My 3s have been worse than the 2s. And 4 hasn't been a total breeze either... :)

My 4-year-old was throwing a huge tantrum today, and I finally said, "WHAT is wrong with you?"

His response? "I need one-on-one time with you."

At least he can articulate it... :)

Danielle's profile picture
Danielle said ...
2's were a breeze compared to 3!!!!

""

Reply by JD

author of Honest Mom 4/24/2012 8:27:43 PM

Funny, I just saw this thread after I posted about my frustrations with the 1/2 age-marks (2.5yo, 3.5yo, etc.).

I was all, "Oh I am ROCKING this parenting thing!" when my then 2yo was lovely and well-behaved and cute as a button.

Then she turned into a tantruming, defiant, screeching little being at 2.5. Only to return to normal a few months later.

I stock up on the wine when each of my girls hit the 1/2 age mark. I have a 3.5yo now so basically I have a wine bar in my kitchen.

Wine bar! Yes! As soon as I have this baby, I'm restocking the Pino.

JD's profile picture
JD said ...
Funny, I just saw this thread after I posted about my frustrations with the 1/2 age-marks (2.5yo, 3.5yo, etc.).

""

Reply by Danielle

author of piperloo 4/25/2012 5:49:52 AM

no judging here! Wine bar.....6 48oz bottles of canadian club rye......whatever works ;)

""

Reply by Danee

4/25/2012 8:33:22 AM

My kids were early talkers and we never really had the terrible 2's or 3's.  We had moments but not long stretches.   I believe that some of what we see as terrible 2's and 3's is their frustration in not getting their message across.  From a developmental stand point the work of a toddler is to learn autonomy from mommy.  for the first two years of life they do EVERYTHING mom wants- wear what mom picked out, eat what mom picks out, play with toys mom picks out etc.  At age 2 they want to start exerting their own personality.  I found if I remembered this (and again during the tween years where their job is to develop their own identity) I wasn't so frustrated.

Reply to Conversation

-OR-

Join & Reply Switch to the simple version
Please review the rules of this community before posting:

Be reasonable, be fair and if you must curse please do so creatively and without naughty words.

< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS