Community Header
< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS

This is the day the Lord has made . . .

Started by Dana , author of Roscommon Acres 1/17/2012 11:13:19 PM

So I will try each week to share a verse and hopefully we can share our thoughts and experiences or go off on a total tangent. And I guess I'll start off with one my husband I have been talking about quite a bit recently:

This is the day which the LORD has made;
Let us rejoice and be glad in it.

~Psalm 118:24

I never thought much about this verse before. It's in a hymn. We sing it at church. Everyone knows the verse. But I never really pondered it until someone said to me, "This is the day the Lord has made . . . " referring to Mattias' funeral.

And I think this is one of the hardest things I've had to struggle with as a Christian. Most people are incredibly supportive and compassionate. But I've been told by a few that grief is not for the Christian and 1Thessalonians 4:13 and this verse come up.

But I thought I'd start here because this verse has been incredibly encouraging to me. In a way, that's what my Easter post was about last year.

This is the day the Lord has made, but we can rejoice in it because "this day" isn't today. It's the day our risen King takes His place at the throne and calls us through the gate of the Lord, "through which the righteous may enter." "This day" is the day of our salvation.

My today can be filled with hurt and sorrow and tears and I can wish I were called for a different path even as Christ cried out for this cup to be taken from Him.But I know, too, that death has been conquered and that I am destined for a place where no tears may fall.

And in this I can rejoice.

The stone the builders rejected

has become the capstone;

the Lord has done this,

and it is marvelous in our eyes.

This is the day the Lord has made;

let us rejoice and be glad in it.

~Psalm 118:22 - 24

Share Conversation

Embed
+ Login to choose updates by email

Replies

Viewing 1 - 4 of 4
""

Reply by Diane

1/18/2012 5:54:07 PM

And I rejoice because every day brings me closer to that day when there will be no more tears.

""

Reply by Dana

author of Roscommon Acres 1/18/2012 8:40:32 PM

Here, too, mom. :)

""

Reply by Sonya

1/19/2012 12:52:51 PM

It is so hard to rejoice in every day that the Lord gives us especially when it is the day you lose your child, but yet we are so fortunate as believer's in Christ, to be able to know that we have hope and a life of eternity to look forward to! Other wise how do you survive these great trials?

""

Reply by Dana

author of Roscommon Acres 1/20/2012 6:08:09 PM

Yes, but I think sometimes we trivialize what it means to "rejoice" in the Lord, too.

"Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted . " ~Matthew 5:4

"It is better to go to a house of mourning than to go to a house of feasting, for death is the destiny of every man, the living should take this to heart.' ~Ecc 7;2

Reply to Conversation

-OR-

Join & Reply Switch to the simple version
Please review the rules of this community before posting:

As for rules, be nice. Share an extra measure of grace and compassion. I think that about sums it up. I'll make the rest up as we go.

< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS