Community Header
< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS

5 Tips to Help the Environment and Save Money

Started by Kelly , author of Texas Type A Mom 4/23/2012 6:00:10 AM

Every parent wants the best for their children and that means a planet that's safe and will sustain future generations.  I try to do whatever I can, whenever I can to make environmentally conscious decisions. 

If you're interested in learning some ways that you can teach your children how to live green like the Lorax, I have some suggestions for you.  A lot of small things can make a significant impact over time. Wanting to help the environment and educate your children on what and why you're doing things is the first step in making a positive change. 

1.  Begin a compost pile.  Reduce the amount of trash in landfills and help your produce skins, coffee ground, egg shells, and other organic matter turn into soil.  You can also save money by using fewer trash bags and using the compost to enrich your garden.  Composting is easier than it sounds.  Read Composting 101 - Composting for Beginners to get started.

2.  Start a garden.  It's such a great feeling to grow your own food and it tastes better too.  My daughter loves watering our garden and seeing new fruit come to life and ripen.  Having a garden will also save you time, money, and encourage you to eat healthier. 

3.  Plan your week.  By making a list of each errand or appointment you need to accomplish every week, you'll be able to save time and money by doing nearby tasks together.

4.  Use less water.  Only run full loads in your dishwasher and washing machine.  Turn off the water while brushing your teeth.  Take baths instead of showers.

5.  Adjust your thermostat.  Keep the temperature in your house warmer in the summer and cooler in the winter to use less electricity and save money. 

For even more ideas on how to help the environment, check out Penelope's Green Living Tips to Celebrate Earth Day.

Haven't you heard that orange is the new green? Seventh Generation and Dr. Seuss' The Lorax have joined forces to inspire families to conserve the earth's resources with conscious consumption. Created with your family, future generations and the environment in mind, Seventh Generation is the natural choice for high-quality and effective products that preserve the air, surfaces, fabrics, pets and people in your home--as well as the world outside. Make a difference by choosing Seventh Generation products, now offering free shipping for orders over $50. As the Lorax says, "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

How do you live like the Lorax? Tell Seventh Generation below and be entered to win a Green Your Home prize pack!

This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Seventh Generation. The opinions and text are all mine. Official Sweepstakes Rules.

Share Conversation

Embed
+ Login to choose updates by email

Replies

Viewing 1 - 3 of 3
These are great tips! When we are in our new home, one of the first things I hope to do is start a vegetable garden.

""

Reply by Liz

author of A Nut in a Nutshell 4/23/2012 10:22:12 AM
I am seriously considering getting a compost bin. They make some of them so easy to use now!

""

Reply by Henrietta

author of A Hen's Nest 4/23/2012 11:13:07 AM
These are all great tips! I love our compost pile, we throw scraps into it daily. We also plant a small garden each year and always do try to keep our temperature down!

Reply to Conversation

-OR-

Join & Reply Switch to the simple version

< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS