Community Header
< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS

The Perfect Chili (It's gluten free too)

Started by Nicole , author of Blogs - her social network 10/31/2011 5:12:51 PM

I don't know about you, but one of my favorite things to eat is Chili! It's great on cold nights, for tailgaters, and is cheap and easy to make and is always a crowd pleaser when made right! I like really tomato based chili's and I thought that I would share one of my treasured favorites! And it's a great way to sneak in some vegetables to the picky eaters in the house!

Homemade Chili

2lbs ground beef (ground bison works too) You can also smoke this!

1 large onion, chopped (finely chop 3 tbsp for garnish)

2 28 ounce cans stewed tomatoes

2 15 ounce cans chili beans

1 15 ounce can kidney beans

2 6 ounce cans Spicy Hot V8 vegetable juice

2 tbsp Sugar

2 tbsp chili powder

1/2 tsp garlic powder

3/4 tsp onion powder

1/2 cup grated Cheddar cheese (for garnish)

I also leave out corn chips in case someone wants to make Frito pie...if you don't know what that is, put the chips on the bottom of the bowl, chili next, cheese, and favorite garnishes! It's a Texas thing and is served often here! 

Brown meat in a large skillet (cast iron if you have it). Add chopped onion and cook until onion is clear. Add remaining ingredients except garnishes, using the bean liquid and as much of the Spicy Hot V8 as you need to achieve the desired consistency. Simmer on back of stove for at least 1 hour, preferably longer. For an added touch, serve topped with grated Cheddar cheese and finely chopped raw onion. Makes 18 to 20 servings!

You can make this a day ahead and reheat it!

For more recipes like this, to post your delicious dish you can do so at http://hersocialnetwork.com and have it be featured! Check out our for the love of food group! http://hersocialnetwork.com/group/for-the-love-of-food

Share Conversation

Embed
+ Login to choose updates by email

Replies

Viewing 1 - 2 of 2
""

Reply by Kat

author of Mama's Losin' It! 11/2/2011 3:14:40 PM

Yum!! I'm totally in the mood to make chilli today too!

""

Reply by homemaker-mom.com

author of Homemaker - Mom - The Homemaker - Mom Blog 7/10/2012 11:52:04 PM

Ok I gotta try this ASAP! I love chili!

Reply to Conversation

-OR-

Join & Reply Switch to the simple version

< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS