Community Header
< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS

Big Changes & Bedtime (Giveaway)

Started by Christa , author of Little BGCG 3/27/2012 9:00:10 AM

When I started working again B and I were really nervous. See Mason doesn't "do" bedtime with B.

B (bless his heart) tries but Mason wants no part of it as soon as they start walking up those stairs Mason starts freaking out and screaming

"NO DADA NO BEDTIME NOOOOO"

Then I started working again. The first week or so I would come home around 10-11 and find Mason either A) Awake or B) asleep on the couch or even the floor. When I wasn't working he was going to bed between 8-9 so this was a big difference. When I wasn't working he was also nursing himself to sleep.

Then about two weeks into work I came home and Mason was up, it was around 9:30 so I knew he would be tired so I walked him upstairs read him some stories, kissed him good night and put him in his crib. Much to my surprise he fell asleep. And from that night forward B was able to put him to sleep the same way when I was at work and when I wasn't at work I was able to put him to sleep without nursing. Hand in hand was that he wasn't climbing out of his crib to join us in bed until around 7am! We were thrilled because getting him to stop nursing and sleep through the night was exactly what we had wanted before the new baby came.

Then my water broke with Elena and things obviously got crazy. B was putting him to sleep and waking up with him in the morning. Then 5 days later I had Elena which threw us even more into a loop especially because my milk came back in, and once Mason realized that, there was no stopping him. Suddenly he was back to his old routine, refusing to sleep in his home crib, insisting on sleeping in ours, waking up multiple times throughout the night to nurse and refusing to go to sleep at his normal 8pm bedtime.

Between all the other stresses going on in our life and Mason's new found sleep issues it's been a lot of sleepless nights. I think what will help us the most is getting him back into the 8pm time frame. We started last night by letting him watch The Pajanimals at 8pm on Sprout TV. We had recorded it so that it would be ready for when he was ready to go to sleep. Pajanimals is a show that features bedtime issues. It was a good watch for both M, B and I. We also followed some of the advice that Sprout gives about bedtimes.

One in particular that seemed to be working before was the simple bedtime routine, Changing his diaper, brushing his teeth, reading him his story and then tucking him in.

Another thing I utilized last night was distracting him with talk about his day when he was asking for more milk. It seemed to work pretty well the first night and has continued to work for us. Within just a couple of days we've been getting back into our bedtime routine and it's been great for everyone involved! Bedtime has always been an issue for us but I hope that as the days, months and years go on it gets better!

What's your biggest bedtime problem or if you're one of the lucky ones who don't have any what's your best tip for a smooth bedtime?

Comment Below for your chance to win a prize package-including a Pajanimals DVD and The Sleepeasy Solution book. There will be FOUR winners!

The Pajanimals, available only on 24-hour preschool television channel Sprout, features four fuzzy friends who wind down for bedtime in a cozy and reassuring way. The show helps you tackle common bedtime issues like getting out of bed, bad dreams and scary monsters. Check out Sprout’s bedtime tips! Also, by replying below four of my lucky readers will win a prize package - including a Pajanimals DVD and The Sleepeasy Solution book, proven by Hollywood’s celebrity parents and written by the sleep experts at Sleepy Planet.

What's your biggest bedtime problem or if you're one of the lucky ones who don't have any what's your best tip for a smooth bedtime?

This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Sprout. The opinions and text are all mine. Official Sweepstakes Rules.

Share Conversation

Embed
+ Login to choose updates by email

Replies

Viewing 1 - 8 of 8
""

Reply by Lori

author of Crfty Duchess 3/27/2012 7:24:14 PM
We keep the routine the same, and don`t have any problems.

""

Reply by Amanda

3/27/2012 9:08:25 PM
Our biggest problem is getting dd to sleep! She is a night owl like me but when we have to be up by 6:30am, the late nights make for a grouchy kiddo!

""

Reply by Christa

author of Little BGCG 3/27/2012 9:29:21 PM

Mason used to be a night owl too, but it never bothered me because so am I but now I cherish my "me time"!

""

Reply by Melissa

author of The Life of a Sippy Cup Mom! 3/27/2012 10:14:02 PM
My son is good with routines but lately he wants milk in bed with him. We have tired to have a little snack before bed now.

When my boys were that age (they are 26 months apart), I remember walking the elder one back to bed a lot. I would just put him in, pull up the covers, kiss him and leave. Eventually he got tired of that plan and just stayed in bed. It sounds cut and dry now, but I was exhausted and in grad school. Luckily, my eldest was done nursing or I would have been one crabby mom!

""

Reply by Hanan

author of Lilac City Momma 3/27/2012 11:08:58 PM
Lately, my oldest is afraid of having the door closed when she goes to sleep. We do baby steps and let her have it just slightly open, until she falls asleep, then we close it.

""

Reply by Jill

4/1/2012 6:30:41 PM
She is currently sleeping right in the middle of our bed. We are discussing moving her to her own room and I'm dreading it!

""

Reply by Christa

author of Little BGCG 4/1/2012 8:44:26 PM
Hopefully you have a smooth transition!

Reply to Conversation

-OR-

Join & Reply Switch to the simple version

< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS