Community Header
< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS

Pet Peeve Words

Started by Suzanne 7/14/2011 7:47:04 AM

Does anyone find certain annoying words or phrases that appear repeatedly in books you've read? Lately, in almost every story I pick up, the characters are smirking. It's usually the hero doing it, but sometimes the heroine does as well. It's not a pretty expression, and one of disdain, perhaps more suited to a secondary character or a villain. And it's become way overused, reminding me of the "frisson" of excitement writers included in books a decade or more ago.

What are your pet peeve words? Curious minds want to know.

Share Conversation

Embed
+ Login to choose updates by email

Replies

Viewing 1 - 10 of 10

Awesome!

Yes, I'm guilty of using it, too, but I hope not in my writing. If I read one more comment or post that declares something awesome, I'll puke. *LOL* Well, not really, but it is widely used and overused today.

""

Reply by Laura

author of Doctor's Corner 7/14/2011 11:58:47 AM

My pet peeve words come from reality TV.  Anything with Gordon Ramsey is bound to be stunning or amazing. I know he says a couple of other adjectives but I can't remember them. 

""

Reply by Suzanne

7/14/2011 1:51:33 PM

I'm with you, Cheryl. I always think of the user as someone who's a generation younger, maybe two. How would these people talk if "awesome" and "like" were removed from their vocabularies? angle

Laura: "stunning" and "amazing" - I'll have to slice those words from my repertoire. I've been guilty of using them on occasion.

""

Reply by Maddie

author of Life, Unedited 7/15/2011 5:52:37 AM

Must admit, I'm guilty of "awesome."  I'm going to watch that! LOL Not sure I use it that much in my writing, but it does creep into an email time and again.

No pet peeve words in books come to me at this moment, but it's before 7 a.m. and I've not had coffee yet. I'll think on it.... 

I devour YA novels at a ridiculous speed and it's hard to find one where the heroine at one point doesn't "release a breathe she didn't realize she was holding."  I treat it like Where's Waldo now. I know its there when I open a new YA. I just have to find it! And I will. It's kinda fun.

""

Reply by Suzanne

7/16/2011 8:45:35 PM

Uh, I've used that phrase before. I will stop forthwith (mainly because I tire of reading it elsewhere. cool)

""

Reply by Maddie

author of Life, Unedited 7/17/2011 9:46:37 PM

Okay, I just thought of one. I've seen this in probably a half dozen or more erotica stories in the last few weeks. "Heat pooled between her legs." Or, "Moisture pooled between her legs."  Lots of pooling between the legs going on out there in erotica land.... 

""

Reply by Suzanne

7/18/2011 8:42:43 AM

Uh, I have used that phrase. Gonna wipe it from my repertoire.

""

Reply by Madison J

author of Madison J Edwards 8/7/2011 11:04:00 AM

Oh no! I've had many 'pooling' disasters in my writing. There are only so many ways you can describe how the woman feels when she's becoming... ummm .... aroused.

I do love a good flaring nostril once in a while, accompanied by the requisite 'quirking' of the eyebrow - to which I'm guilty.

""

Reply by Rose

author of Blogfrog Community Links 1/10/2013 11:48:31 AM

Blog Links: This is a free service that lets you add your blog link to multiple blog sites 
http://bllinks.blogspot.com

Reply to Conversation

-OR-

Join & Reply Switch to the simple version
Please review the rules of this community before posting:

We follow preschool rules here: Be nice to your neighbor. Hands to yourself. No running with scissors. Use kind words. No spitting. That's all.

< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS