Community Header
< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS

My son still lacks social skills.

Started by Michelle , author of Green Mother 6/20/2012 7:17:20 PM

We are presently vacationing at a resort. My son still has issues with social skills and social filters.

Several times already, he has blurted out inappropriate comments towards others that have special needs. I tell him over and over again that we do not say these things. If you have a question, ask me in private.

Do you have any tips for me how to handle this delicate situation?

Share Conversation

Embed
+ Login to choose updates by email

Replies

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6
""

Reply by Candice

author of Lilly through the valley 6/20/2012 8:09:25 PM

Aaah how about some role playing a head of time to "practice" what to say when the situation arises. the learning foundation isn't in the moment but before hand. That is how I do it.

""

Reply by Michelle

author of Green Mother 6/20/2012 8:37:45 PM

That is a great idea! I love role playing, and we practice. However, in the moment, he forgets. So I am really hoping he will grow out of it!!

""

Reply by Candice

author of Lilly through the valley 6/21/2012 9:52:57 AM

Maybe visual cues or a code word? Like a signal between you guys and him to help him in the moment

Love those ideas! 

I need to do some practice with our daughter and maybe add the hand signals so I know she has a question.  She tends to blurt out things like, "look!  That lady is fat!"  and "Why did she paint her eyebrows on, Mommy?"

Candice's profile picture
Candice said ...
Aaah how about some role playing a head of time to "practice" what to say when the situation arises. the learning foundation isn't in the moment but before hand. That is how I do it.

This may be kind of a different way of handling things but it depends on what kind of things he says.  If one of my kids would say look mom that boy doesn't have an arm...what's wrong with him?  or maybe Why is that person in a wheelchair what's wrong with them?

I would talk about it right in front of that person.  Like I would say. " I'm not really sure?  Maybe they were born that way or maybe they had an accident.  But no matter what they are made in God's image and they are special just like you" 

If they say this in front of an adult with disabilities..I have even made sure that my kids and I talk to that person so that they can see that this is a real human being with feelings and that they are "normal" in other ways

I don't know..even though these things are uncomfortable to deal with at the time..I have found that it has made my child more comfortable and the person more comfortable if we just come right out and talk about it.  But that's just me.

I like Candice's idea too..role playing :)

""

Reply by Michelle

author of Green Mother 6/28/2012 11:50:56 AM

All great ideas :)  Thank you so much :)

~hugs~

Reply to Conversation

-OR-

Join & Reply Switch to the simple version
Please review the rules of this community before posting:

Everyone walks their own unique walk in life which forms the words they say. Please respect their words when replaying back to something.

< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS