Community Header
< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS

What's the Next "Big Thing" or Your Biggest Food Concern, To Date?

Started by Liz , author of This Full House Reviews 5/4/2012 2:28:27 PM

I had the opportunity to tour and meet with a major food brand a couple of years ago and, during that visit, a few of the other a bloggers questioned the nutritional value of HFC (high fructose corn syrup) which, at the time, I had no idea would become quite the controversy.

Recently, I learned that the brand has since removed all HFC from their entire product line, which I thought was a real big deal.

As an avid consumer (family of 6, enough said) I feel it safe to say that parents today are very concerned about what they feed their children and want to know exactly what they are buying.

Case in point:  I was grossed out when learning about the practice of including boneless lean beef trimmings (also called "pink slime") in ground beef.

I am literally dissecting the product labels on each shopping trip and even my 10 year-old knows that if the majority of the ingredients are unrecognizable...or, unpronounceable...we are probably NOT going to buy it.

What about you?  What is your biggest food concern?

Share Conversation

Embed
+ Login to choose updates by email

Replies

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5
""

Reply by Jo-Lynne

author of Musings of a Housewife 5/4/2012 3:16:43 PM

Such a timely post. I'm majorly concerned with the GMOs and that they are trying to add more GMO products into distribution. It is destroying organic farms and we are going to no longer have a choice if it isn't stopped NOW. Such a serious issue. 

I love hearing your thoughts, and I'm encouraged that I'm not alone in dissecting those labels! LOL.

""

Reply by Liz

author of This Full House Reviews 5/4/2012 3:22:58 PM

GMOs are definitely a concern and, you know, I'm not sure if food are required to be labeled as such?

On the other hand, I do live in an agricultural area (yes, they exist in Jersey) where more and more farms are being sold for various reasons (too expensive to maintain, next generation do not want to farm, etc...) and turned into strip malls, or housing communities.

Another major concern...ugh...never ends, right?

Jo-Lynne's profile picture
Jo-Lynne said ...
I love hearing your thoughts, and I'm encouraged that I'm not alone in dissecting those labels! LOL.

""

Reply by Emily

author of Busy Mom 5/4/2012 7:27:28 PM

Like you said, I think there will always be "the next big thing" or next big concern. One month they say something has positive effects and then down the road we hear that... "oh wait, this causes this or that." 

I just try to live an overall healthy lifestyle and have less processed foods for my family, homemade meals, healthy snacks and added fruits and veggies.

I was, however, bothered by that disgusting article about bugs in canned and frozen foods.

""

Reply by Tami

author of A Godly Homemaker 5/10/2012 1:23:07 PM

i have been down the HFC and GMO roads before and now i am learning more about coconut oil one. we already use only coconut or olive oils but i'd like to know more.

""

Reply by Tami

author of A Godly Homemaker 5/10/2012 1:29:24 PM

oh i forgot! we buy a half of cow from a butcher instead of meat  from the store!

Reply to Conversation

-OR-

Join & Reply Switch to the simple version
Please review the rules of this community before posting:

This is your community, so ask questions, make new friends, share tips, chat, and enter to win prizes. Stay friendly, respectful and have fun.

< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS