Community Header
< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS

What are some good recipes for a crowd?

Started by Wendy , author of Wendolonia 12/22/2011 12:11:57 PM

It's that time of year -- the week when people have zillions of house guests! And strangely, those guests want to eat three times per day! smiley

We're not hosting any overnight guests this year, but we are having the extended family over for Christmas Eve and I'm not sure exactly what to make for dinner. I want something easy that won't require me to stay in the kitchen all afternoon.

What are some of your favorite meals to make for a crowd?

Share Conversation

Embed
+ Login to choose updates by email

Replies

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6
""

Reply by BecomingSydney

author of Becoming Sydney 12/22/2011 1:17:14 PM

Christmas Eve I usually want something easy, but delicious. Two years ago I made a deliciously meaty Christmas pasta dish with a recipe by Nigella Lawson.

This year I'm having an open house on Christmas day with roast pork, seafood pasta with a basil cream sauce, potatoes two ways, brussels sprouts, and a jicama orange salad. Therefore, Christmas Eve is going to be simple: Chinese take out!

""

Reply by Julianna

author of The Mechanical Bull 12/22/2011 3:41:25 PM

I love making lasagna for a crowd. It's easy to make before hand and freeze and it feeds a large group easily. Add a green salad and you are done and you haven't broken the bank!

Oh boy, I had to laugh at your:

"And strangely, those guests want to eat three times per day" !!!

I like doing double duty recipies - a chicken/broccoli divan with rice one day, then a taco "bar" the next, and then use left-overs (chicken/broccoli  & taco meat) for a baked potato "bar" the third day. 

""

Reply by Melissa

author of another lunch 12/22/2011 5:26:16 PM

Soup. I can prepare it early in the day and let it simmer all day with no more effort on my part. By evening the aroma has done it's job tantalizing the masses and everyone is dying to dive in by dinner. :)

""

Reply by Wendy

author of Wendolonia 12/22/2011 5:58:35 PM

I love the idea of making dishes that can be used for two different meals!

Lori's profile picture
Lori said ...
I like doing double duty recipies - a chicken/broccoli divan with rice one day, then a taco "bar" the next, and then use left-overs (chicken/broccoli  & taco meat) for a baked potato "bar" the third day. 

""

Reply by Wendy

author of Wendolonia 12/22/2011 6:02:43 PM

Soup is a great idea! I think I'm going to go with that for Christmas Eve. If I put it in the crockpot, I won't even have to keep a very close eye on it.

Melissa's profile picture
Melissa said ...
Soup. I can prepare it early in the day and let it simmer all day with no more effort on my part. By evening the aroma has done it's job tantalizing the masses and everyone is dying to dive in by dinner. :)

Reply to Conversation

-OR-

Join & Reply Switch to the simple version
Please review the rules of this community before posting:

This is your community, so ask questions, make new friends, share tips, chat, and enter to win prizes. Stay friendly, respectful and have fun.

< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS