Community Header
< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS

Organizing life... for school.

Started by Quirky Momma , author of quirkymomma.com 8/29/2011 5:00:11 AM

We are beginning kindergarten with two of my kiddos and I'd love to tell you I have our learning routine or system together... but I don't! This past week, I scoured the internet in search of tips to help us as we adapt to a life of learning with kiddos in preschool and kindergarten. Here are a few of the "must-do-one-day" tips I have found. KinderCare is asking moms across the country to share tips that have helped them and their kiddos adjust. I'd love for you to share your tips in the comments. 

Organization tips for back to school Organizing our preschool really means organizing my life. A mom over at SheIsDallas uses a household notebook to neaten her life.

We have a craft closet that is exploding - and I love this idea from I Can Teach My Child. She uses a hanging clear shoe holder to organize supplies. No more hunting for colored chalk!

...and lastly my favorite! This is a mom of all boys... one starting kindergarten this year... and I just love how she organized her "school" closet - wish I could replicate it!

I’d love to hear your tips! What advice do you have for moms prepping for preschool? KinderCare will choose one lucky participant and make donation in their name to the Reach Out And Read chapter of their choice.

This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of KinderCare. The opinions and text are all mine. Official Contest Rules.

Share Conversation

Embed
+ Login to choose updates by email

Replies

Viewing 1 - 10 of 39
""

Reply by Beader Bubbe

author of Beader Bubbe's Shop 8/29/2011 6:00:19 AM

While I no longer have kindergarteners, I do remember those days.  And though you need some sort of routine just remember not to be too strict about them...leave room to be flexible.  I remember I wanted to rush home, have snack, start on homework or talk about their day...but soon learned that even 5 year olds need down time and a short trip to the park after school did wonders for them when they did get home...so, my advice, routines are nice; but be a bit flexible...its not as stressful for both you and your child.

""

Reply by Jamie

author of hands on : as we grow 8/29/2011 7:12:16 AM

I'd LOVE to hear tips! Henry's struggling with preschool right now. Not wanting to go most days. I feel horrible making him go... 

""

Reply by Jamie

author of hands on : as we grow 8/29/2011 7:13:39 AM

As for prepping and getting ready - we did the norm - went out and got school supplies! This got Henry super excited! He picked out his backpack (green, of course), as well as notebook, folders, pencil case (and all the goodies to go in it), everything being green that could be!

He was super excited to start school after this.

(After two weeks of school is another story though...)

""

Reply by Texasholly

author of june cleaver nirvana 8/29/2011 7:13:57 AM

Hey!  Thanks for featuring my closet!  Ever since I completed it last January, it is a place of REST.  I know!  It is crazy, but I can take a little vacation just gazing into it.

I am going to the store today for that shoe thing...it has been on my mind ever since I saw it in the original post.  Thanks for the reminder!

""

Reply by Jamie

author of hands on : as we grow 8/29/2011 7:16:07 AM

Sorry for the separate comments, I keep thinking of more to add :P

I am in the midst of creating a 'planner' for Henry. One that shows him the days of the week so we can plan out the week ahead - and then the night before we'll go through the next day where he can choose and activity or two to do - so he gets excited about the day - and also knows what to expect.

I hope it will also make it easier on me and planning things out!

""

Reply by Quirky Momma

author of quirkymomma.com 8/29/2011 7:43:58 AM

Flexibility - I love and NEED that!  Thanks!

""

Reply by Jamie

author of hands on : as we grow 8/29/2011 7:59:36 AM

That shoe thing is also on my list. I think I NEED it :P

Texasholly's profile picture
Texasholly said ...
I am going to the store today for that shoe thing...it has been on my mind ever since I saw it in the original post.  Thanks for the reminder!

""

Reply by Quirky Momma

author of quirkymomma.com 8/29/2011 8:12:57 AM

I love how organizing helps bring rest!  I love one corner of my house, it's put together nearly 100% of the time... and sometimes I secretly go and sit there just to breathe!

Texasholly's profile picture
Texasholly said ...
Hey!  Thanks for featuring my closet!  Ever since I completed it last January, it is a place of REST.  I know!  It is crazy, but I can take a little vacation just gazing into it.

""

Reply by Quirky Momma

author of quirkymomma.com 8/29/2011 8:13:40 AM

A planner - brilliant!  You should make a blog post of what it looks like and what you have in your grand "plan". 

Jamie's profile picture
Jamie said ...
I am in the midst of creating a 'planner' for Henry. One that shows him the days of the week so we can plan out the week ahead - and then the night before we'll go through the next day where he can choose and activity or two to do - so he gets excited about the day - and also knows what to expect.

""

Reply by Jamie

author of hands on : as we grow 8/29/2011 9:11:30 AM

That's the plan :P

Quirky Momma's profile picture
Quirky Momma said ...
A planner - brilliant!  You should make a blog post of what it looks like and what you have in your grand "plan". 

Reply to Conversation

-OR-

Join & Reply Switch to the simple version
Please review the rules of this community before posting:

Be nice. Don't spam.

< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS