Community Header
< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS

Daily Routines

Started by Jamie , author of hands on : as we grow 8/9/2011 2:51:53 PM

As a SAHM I've never been much of a routiner/planner. I just go with the flow and whatever seems to engage my son.

Thinking about it now though, I kind of wish I had set times that we did certain things - maybe not every day, but some days. We rarely listen to music, sing or dance. And my son hates to do these things. I kind of wished I had a set time each day for 15 minutes of music or something of the sort.

Do you set aside times each day for specific activities?

Share Conversation

Embed
+ Login to choose updates by email

Replies

Viewing 11 - 15 of 15
""

Reply by Kiwivandal

author of The Awkward Adventures of Kiwi 8/19/2011 8:22:11 PM

We have a large desk size calendar hung on the wall that all the important things get written on (appointment's, play-dates, special events around town that we want to attend), I don't do a written schedule because my 12 year old says it's embarrassing when her friends come over to have it out. She does have reminders on the back of her door. They are laminated checklists of everything she needs during the school year. That way she can use a dry erase marker to cross things off, also they are small enough to stow in the desk when her friends come over.

Jamie's profile picture
Jamie said ...
Has anyone created a board for their schedule?
I'd like to create one that we can change for each day (the night before, so we decide what we'd like to do the next day).

I haven't found the right medium to make it out of though.

I sometimes use a pictorial timeline, with photos of the kids doing all our usual activities (inc, meals, nap, cleaning teeth etc). I mainly use it with the children I work with, especially when I've got someone new I'm helping to settle in - they love seeing what's planned, what to expect from their day with me. The kids love that it's pictures of them in the timeline, and as it's just photos pegged on a mini-washing line it's so easy to set up, talk through, take the pictures down as we complete each task.

""

Reply by Heather

8/28/2011 10:15:19 PM

Jamie's profile picture
Jamie said ...
Has anyone created a board for their schedule?
I'd like to create one that we can change for each day (the night before, so we decide what we'd like to do the next day).

I haven't found the right medium to make it out of though.

I created a schedule board today. There is an etsy site that sells them, but I wanted to be creative and do my own. I took some cardboard and cut a large circle. Modge podged scrapbook paper on it, cut out circles and glued them onto circle cardboard pieces i cut out (scrapbook circle cutters are great). Wrote activities on each circle. Put magnetic strips on each circle and going around the large circle so the activities are on the board and can be interchanged, I wanted a clock style so I cut out a arrow, nailed a tack down so it can move around and it turned out perfect!

""

Reply by Jamie

author of hands on : as we grow 8/29/2011 8:02:41 AM

I love this idea Cathy! Especially using pictures OF the kids DOING that activity!

Cathy at NurtureStore's profile picture
Cathy at NurtureStore said ...
I sometimes use a pictorial timeline, with photos of the kids doing all our usual activities (inc, meals, nap, cleaning teeth etc). I mainly use it with the children I work with, especially when I've got someone new I'm helping to settle in - they love seeing what's planned, what to expect from their day with me. The kids love that it's pictures of them in the timeline, and as it's just photos pegged on a mini-washing line it's so easy to set up, talk through, take the pictures down as we complete each task.

""

Reply by Jamie

author of hands on : as we grow 8/29/2011 8:04:22 AM

Lol - I often find myself longing for the older ages (i.e. 12 years old) because then we can play board games and really get into it, or do other certain things that we can't yet do... but I do forget it is going to bring along that attitude too! :P Embarrassed by a schedule! I can definitely see that... I woulda thought my mom was nerdy if she made me do it at that age... glad you're finding a work around!

Kiwivandal's profile picture
Kiwivandal said ...
We have a large desk size calendar hung on the wall that all the important things get written on (appointment's, play-dates, special events around town that we want to attend), I don't do a written schedule because my 12 year old says it's embarrassing when her friends come over to have it out. She does have reminders on the back of her door. They are laminated checklists of everything she needs during the school year. That way she can use a dry erase marker to cross things off, also they are small enough to stow in the desk when her friends come over.

Reply to Conversation

-OR-

Join & Reply Switch to the simple version
Please review the rules of this community before posting:

Be nice. Don't spam.

< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS