Community Header
< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS

BIGGER Is Not Always Better

Started by joyce , author of MissCouponDiva 3/29/2012 10:04:43 AM
The first step to saving money is to be aware of pricing. You have to review your store ads before you go to the store. Case in point. I was at the grocery store and noticed that the woman beside me had cranberry juice in her cart. It was the 101.4 oz container for $5.29. Unit price $1.67 qt.I asked why did you purchase the large bottle . She answered it's cheaper. Not today I said. We returned to the juice aisle to compare unit pricing. Normally the 640z bottle is $3.29/64oz $1.75/qt. So she was able to purchase more juice for less money. You also should not shop out of habit. When I arrived to the dairy aisle I noticed anther shopper picking up a 2 1/2 dozen large eggs package at $3.99 . I ashed why she was buying that size. She I always do I have a large family. I showed her a dozen large eggs were $.99 this week so that for the price she was paying for 30 eggs she could get 48 or less money. She walked away with her 4 dozen with a huge smile on her face. I can not impress the importance of being prepared before you go to the market. That is the only way to truly save. Moving slowly however I am still saving!

Share Conversation

Embed
+ Login to choose updates by email

Replies

Viewing 1 - 4 of 4
""

Reply by Louisiana

7/30/2012 9:27:13 AM
Thanks for all you do! Us serious couponers all think alike. God Bless.

""

Reply by Stefani

3/16/2013 9:39:58 PM
I was raised to compare ounces and prices. Including brands! Best deal for less money... Only way to go, especially when you have a large family!

""

Reply by Naomi

3/29/2013 8:39:11 PM

When I met you today in the Bi-lo here in North Myrtle Beach,SC, I loved the way you were making your daughter learn how to comparision shop. That is a lost art. I always try to comparision shop. You were so kind to me today that I had to mention it here. I still struggle trying to comparision shop when I have my daughter with me. That is often the reason I do not shop with her or her father with me. They tend to pick up the nearest thing next to them. When I ask how much that was he will state to me he doesn't want to be in the shop very long. So we have made a deal that he watches our daughter while I do the shopping. He gets frustrated that I can get our shopping done in a short period of time when he has to go to the store and comes back 2 hours later with less stuff for more money. I chuckle and tell him that I watch what I spend and where I spend it. I have to figure out where to get coupons in our area. I have been down here for 7 years and haven't found the coupons that I have found when I was up north. I was talking to my other half tonight and he said he hasn't even seen the amount of coupons down here that they publish in the sunday papers up north. Any ideas for this area?

Thank you for your kindness today.

Naomi

""

Reply by joyce

author of MissCouponDiva 4/1/2013 10:01:29 AM

Thank you so much for your kind words. While raising my daughters I did not have the luxury of impulse buying. As soon as my daughters starting putting items in the cart, I started teaching them to budget. My motto has always been where do you work. My mom who lives here too gets the same coupons we get up north by purchasing the Sunday paper and printing them from my website. I would also suggest if you recycle checkout the bins in your neighborhood. Let me know how you are doing.

Reply to Conversation

-OR-

Join & Reply Switch to the simple version
Please review the rules of this community before posting:

Let's make this a positive place to share information. Negative remarks will be removed.

< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS