Community Header
< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS

We're Living Our Dream, Let Us Help You Live Yours...and win an iPad2!

Started by Curvy Girl , author of Curvy Girl Guide 7/11/2011 8:00:10 AM

What started as an idea, became a voice.

The voice became a community.

The community became a movement.

A movement over half a million strong every month and growing.

When we launched our company one year ago this month (cue the balloons and champagne...lots of champagne), we knew we wanted to develop projects that changed the landscape of media.

But, we were just two women.  Two moms. We lived on different coasts.  We stayed up until 3am working via Skype from home offices full of baby dolls and unfolded laundry and champagne. (What?  We like to celebrate.)

And while we were already bloggers making our livings through social media, the uncertainty of what we were about to embark on was frightening.  Would people take a chance on us?  Could we handle the hustle?  Would this be a success?

We had so many ideas, and we pitched every one of them.

We learned two things hard and fast.  First, nobody will love your idea as much as you.  Second, if there was a secret to becoming successful, absolutely no one was sharing it.

Failing is way harder than they made it look like on MTV's Made.

After our 500th thanks for the inquiry, due to the sheer volcanic volume of emails we get on a daily basis, we may not have time to turn you down in a more personal matter no offense oh look here's a picture of a monkey hugging a kitty form email, we decided we were going to stop putting the success of our business on the shoulders of others.

So, we did.

We built our business on our own backs, on our own terms, following something we are incredibly passionate about.

We've thrown events across the country and launched some amazing online ventures, including Curvy Girl Guide, with two others launching in the next few months.

We made our own dream job.

Did we think a year ago that today we'd be sitting at the helm of a successful women's magazine and media company, drinking champagne and eating cake, one more step closer to being the person our children want to be when they grow up?

No.

But, we never gave up or compromised our goals, and here were are.  Did I mention the champagne?

We've partnered with Intuit in their pursuit to award a small business a $25,000 grant as part of their Love a Local Business competition, of which we are in the running for (wink wink, nudge nudge click here to vote)!

Everybody has a dream job, what's yours?  Do you dream of owning your own business, but need some advice?  Come talk to us!

Everybody has a dream job, what's yours  Do you dream of owning your own business, but need some advice?  Come talk to us!

(Spoiler Alert: By joining us in the discussion you will be entered to win an iPad 2!)

This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Intuit’s Love A Local Business competition. The opinions and text are all mine. Contest runs July 6 to August 9, 2011. A random winner will be announced by August 11, 2011. Official Contest Rules

Share Conversation

Embed
+ Login to choose updates by email

Replies

Viewing 31 - 40 of 122
""

Reply by Heather

7/11/2011 10:41:24 AM
My sister and I have always dreamed of owning a birthday party spot for little girls where they can get makeovers and have tea parties and such. And of course we dream that it would make enough money that we wouldn't have to actually work and my kids could be with me...when I want them to be lol.

""

Reply by Shannon

7/11/2011 10:43:06 AM
I would love to be a green blogger full time and develop green products not on the market yet or work with mainstream companies to make their products green.

""

Reply by Charline

7/11/2011 10:44:47 AM
My husband and I currently currently have a retail business but we need start up money. We have realized that we need money to get it going. It can be so frustrating sometimes. How do we get financial help?

""

Reply by Lindsay

7/11/2011 10:47:22 AM
I would love to own a cupcake/sweets business. I envision a bakery with a little garden in the back for relaxing, entertaining, growing things to use in my food- kind of like a beer garden but for cupcakes.

""

Reply by Rachel

7/11/2011 10:48:00 AM
My dream job is operating a dog rescue. Until I can do that, I try to help animals on a small scale. Speaking up when I see an animal being mistreated or living in poor conditions. Raising money for shelters and rescues. Things like that.

""

Reply by Liz

7/11/2011 10:49:30 AM

An autism therapy clinic - so I could spend more time with my son

""

Reply by Staci

7/11/2011 11:02:26 AM
My dream business is a cafe/bakery at the beach.

""

Reply by Jen

7/11/2011 11:07:02 AM
I would love to start a business that would provide free arts education in public schools. Arts are so important and an outlet for many students. Sadly, arts education is now considered a luxury and a non-essential part of schools.

Hey Michelle! 

I am actually helping my husband launch his business right now, and it's been a learning experience to say the least, haha.  While we definitely function at different levels of productivity, I am having a blast, and he is very excited to hopefully be launching something he can pass down to our kids.

We are from a very rural area, so success sometimes feels limited, but like you said, the internet makes things a lot easier!

Michelle's profile picture
Michelle said ...
I would love to do something collaborative with my husband--I know, I know--it sounds crazy. We are nearly total opposites, and we work together well, and I think creating a business from scratch together would be awesome. I just don't know what type of business--our local area isn't too friendly/kind to new business--might definitely have to be an internet based venture.

""

Reply by Desera

7/11/2011 11:09:34 AM
my dream job would have to be a catering business. cooking is like therapy to me.

Reply to Conversation

-OR-

Join & Reply Switch to the simple version

< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS