Community Header
< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS

Living My Best Life {A Charged Life}

Started by Nicole , author of Moments that Define Life — Defining Moments 7/12/2012 8:30:10 AM

I've been in a rut. A big creative and sometimes emotional rut.

There. I said it.

I'm not one to admit things easily that aren't of that "half-full" perspective because that's not how I usually run my life, but things have admittedly been in a downward slope for me. I feel a bit aimless at times and I just want to, without sounding Oprah cliche, Live My Best Life.  In the midst of caring for those little (about-to-potty-train-lord-help-me-send-wine-and-chocolate-stat!) twins while trying to make sure their older sister doesn't feel slighted and the husband get's his lovin' in too - I get lost and sometimes I think to myself...

Where have I gone?

I've gotten a bit lost in there somewhere - until this book came along which has given me a renewed perspective and has reminded me that I am capable of controlling how I perceive and go about my life. I can decide the path I take and whether I remain stagnate in my lackluster creativity and mundane day-to-day which as become my norm these last few months or I can regroup and recharge.

The Charge by Brendon Burchard is a fantastic book that really hits at the core of what I'm going through right now. It really came at the best time. He talks about how people are living one of three lives  - The Caged Life which is the person who feels defined by their past or the expectations of others and therefore trapped in that, The Comfortable Life which is many of us are with our settled lives of children, spouses and jobs which we feel we should happy with but are less than content and can't quite figure out why - essentially on "cruise control" through life and finally The Charged Life which basically means, as Brendan puts it in his book:

We are not passengers on the collective march of prgoress - we're creating our own world and our own definitions of what it means to live and progress. We are fully living and experiencing the lives we want, not coveting or chasing others' lives.

As I continued to read through the book, I found myself dog-earring pages and feeling truly connected with what he was saying and I think it's basically because I was on cruise control and I didn't know how to speed up and move forward. Then I came to page 167 -168

All the psychological and spiritual growth you've experienced as a human being has been a result of what I call "real challenge". It was the stretching of your self-concept, skills, beliefs, and mental or physical capacities that were brought about by a greater demand from you or your environment...These were the moments when the struggle meant something to you and you focused on the activity at hand in such a way that you sense of time and your self-consciousness just seemed to melt away. These were the sweet-spot moments when you surprised even yourself, rising above your own limits and hitting a higher gear of effort, creativity and consciousness. That's when real change and growth happened. And I'll wager that's when you felt more alive and engaged - more charged - than ever.

This was right after high school for me, through my college years and first years of teaching. It was the time in my life when I was truly fending for myself. I had my life in my own hands for the first time. My parents may have left me, but I now had my future in my hands and I was full-steam ahead into my future. I could see it clearly and I wasn't going to continue on "business as usual" into the abyss of addiction, dishonesty and struggle which defined my parents. I was determined not to be like them. I was independent, I was making changes in the lives of others through teaching and I was genuinely loving my life. Those years were some of my best years. 

But now that I've gone beyond that, I've entered that The Comfortable Life on "cruise control" looking for my charge again. It's not to say I don't love my life with my girls and my husband. I am so grateful! But,  I don't think I realized that I had lost my "charge" until I read this book. In short...it was a game changer. I now have a better understanding of where I'm at in life I'm excited to implement the activators of change in hopes of jump starting my life again so I can continue to grow as a person. Because I think I will be a better mother, spouse and friend if I feel like I am energized and fulfilled in life and The Charge  by Brendan Burchard has been and will be  a great tool in helping me get there.

What makes you feel most charged and alive? 

Order your free copy of The Charge today!

Share with us what makes you feel most alive for a chance to win a High Performance Academy Online Seminar with Brendon Burchard, author of The Charge (valued at $1,000).

This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Burchard Group Sponsored Conversation. The opinions and text are all mine. Burchard Group Sweepstakes and Rules.

Share Conversation

Embed
+ Login to choose updates by email

Replies

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6

I feel alive when I'm working on personal goals and making my girls happy as well as my family. 

""

Reply by Sarah

7/12/2012 10:58:04 AM
Being true to what really drives me. I'm a thinker...and a writer...I prefer paper and pen (or markers, etc!) I get inspired by so many things but mainly about living a healthy and active lifestyle. I am so motivated and passionate about helping other people get active, fit, and make good food choices - I can't even really describe it! BUT for some reason I went to college to be a guidance counselor and am now a SAHM who blogs occasionally. I used to lead a running group of women at our last duty station (by husband is a Marine) but now I feel a little lost myself - hard to lead when you don't know where you're going. Thanks for this posting!

""

Reply by Dumb Mom

author of Parenting by Dummies 7/12/2012 12:39:33 PM
I honestly don't even know at this point. I feel mostly exhausted and always rushing from one thing to the next. The only thing I really feel charged about these days is the opportunity to lay in bed and read. Maybe I should pick up this book!

I love this conversation - and am inspired by this post/book! I feel charged when I know I'm making someone else's day (kids, friends, writers, etc.) and when I focus on something that authentically just for me - a beautiful meal, a challenging workout, carved out writing time. I love this, girl. {so much}

""

Reply by Arnebya

author of What Now and Why 7/13/2012 9:38:02 AM
I am chargeless lately. I feel run down and awkward, tired and aggravated. I can honestly say that I'd rather be asleep than doing virtually anything else. When I do something that is specifically for me, I feel a glimmer of "alive" returning. But when I do something for my family (make the dinner they chose, help them with something that's been occupying their time that they can't manage alone), then I do start to feel it a bit more. Finding out how to make that continue, though? Clueless.

This sounds like a fantastic book! I totally agree that real growth happens when you are challenged. And right now I am feeling challenged- by my blog, by working part time for iVillage, by trying to make this a really fun summer for my family. I del challenged- and a bit crazed. But I also feel happy.

Reply to Conversation

-OR-

Join & Reply Switch to the simple version
Please review the rules of this community before posting:

1.) Remember the Golden Rule 2.) Be positive in lieu of negativity 3.) No giveaways/sponsored posts may be advertised from blogs outside of Moments that Define Life, please use your own communities for that. Thanks in advance!

< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS