Community Header
< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS

Potty Training

Started by Multiples and More , author of Multiples.... and More! 7/14/2011 6:14:04 AM

It seems that a lot of us are in the same boat right now, getting ready or currently potty training our multiples. I'm going to re-run the potty training posts on Monday (July 18, 2011) and I want this area to be where you can share your tips or tricks.  Also, any reassurance that we will not lose our mind, or all of our hair, during this process would greatly be appreciated!

Share Conversation

Embed
+ Login to choose updates by email

Replies

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5
""

Reply by Tonya

author of Create-Celebrate-Explore 7/15/2011 9:45:16 AM

My husband was deployed and I happened to run out of diapers one day for the twins and was in one of those harried moments when I knew I couldn't get to the store until later.  Swim diapers to the rescue, right.  No.  My daughter would have none of it.  I pulled out the potty and she peed in it.  She wouldn't poop in it yet, but it was a good start and she picked it up in no time.  My son though I swear I saw my first grey hair potty training him.  They were starting pre-school just before they turned 3, but the preschool they were attending would only accept potty trained children.  He finally pooped on the potty the day before school started.  He was fine after that day, but he just wanted to give me a few grey hairs along the way.

""

Reply by Cathy

author of Life As Described 7/18/2011 12:44:23 PM

I'm excited to see what you all have to say about this. My b/g twins are 16 months and I know it's a bit too early, but I'm trying to get lots of ideas for when we do start!

Tonya, I'm glad that your son eventually decided cooperate! Sounds like it wasn't easy though :(

""

Reply by Shannon

7/18/2011 7:39:37 PM

My b/g twins are now 3 1/2. They have been potty trained during the day for over a year now. Went cold turkey into panties/underwear and the process was actually easier than anticipated. We've been trying to get my daughter night time trained for about 6 weeks, and it's been a challenge. She is such a deep sleeper, and she didn't even wake if she was wet. She has progressed to waking up to go to the bathroom during the night, but there are still times where she is wet in the morning. We try to limit liquids after 6pm.

Any other suggestions that would help? Will it just take a bit more time to be consistent?

""

Reply by Kim

author of My Twin*tastic Life 6/13/2012 7:33:24 PM

Let me start by saying I was TOTALLY lucky and I realize that, but both of my boys were trained by their 3rd birthday (that week really).  I read all the books, on all the methods and tried the whole "potty training in one day" method with one son.  It didn't work.  Finally, I just stopped with the diapers.  Luckily it was summer and we were outside a lot, because they peed all over the place for about 24 hours!  But because we would periodically sit on the potty, talk about the potty, watch Mommy and Daddy on the potty, I think they picked it up quickly.  I felt like the best way to get the "point" across to them, was to let them feel the uncomfortable wetness each time.  

I see that this thread is older, but I am training my twins right now and WOAH...is it tough. The 'twin effect' seems exaggerated; when one does well and I am giving her positive attention for it, the other pees everywhere to pull my attention back. I tried training them both at the same time, and one twin is now 100% trained... Hooray! The other twin, after 3 1/2 months of trying, still has multiple accidents a day. Many days are a fight, and I am having trouble keeping cool with all the accidents. She has no problem walking around in wet undies. I have just stopped putting panties on her, and she wears pullups full time. I need to relax. I need a break. The stress was straining our relationship, and I needed to let go of having them train at the same time. I guess when she WANTS to use it, the potty will be there. I thought persistence and consistency would work in the end....not this time! And that's ooookkkaaaayy. cheeky

Reply to Conversation

-OR-

Join & Reply Switch to the simple version
Please review the rules of this community before posting:

The only thing I ask is that everyone treats each other with respect.

< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS