Community Header
< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS

Aldi vs Kroger

Started by Joy 1/8/2011 9:00:17 PM

I normally shop at Aldi and then finish up at Kroger.  Would it cheaper to continue to do this or would it be cheaper to use coupons to buy more items at Kroger?  I am not a brand specific shopper on most items.  I also shop for some items at Walgreens.

Share Conversation

Embed
+ Login to choose updates by email

Replies

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5
""

Reply by james

1/9/2011 2:46:14 AM

I usually shop at Aldi's for fresh produce, milk and eggs. Those items usually don't have coupons for them and they are a much better deal (usually) at Aldi's.

""

Reply by Karen

1/9/2011 8:28:28 AM

I agree. Continue to shop Aldi for items like eggs, sugar milk and any other deals. The great thing about Aldi'd is you never know what kind of deal or product you are going to come across!

""

Reply by Jenn

1/9/2011 3:33:14 PM

I used to shop exculsively at Aldi for food and Sam's club for everything else.  Now since couponing, I hardly ever go there.  The only thing that is cheaper for me is garlic and avocado's.  I can even get sugar, eggs and milk cheaper with coupons when it is on sale.  However, if you are not well stocked on an item Aldi is cheaper if you need something right now. 

Aldi does have good prices on dairy (eggs, milk, cheese) and produce.  But since I started couponing I am trying to buy more organic items in these areas.  Now I can afford it because I spend less on other things. 

Do you have any other grocery stores to shop at besides Kroger?  I really only like Kroger for their Mega sales.  Besides that I shop at Publix, CVS, and Walgreens.

""

Reply by Joy

1/9/2011 4:25:58 PM

Karen, James, and Jenn,

Thank you so much for your input.  I truly appreciate it.

Jenn,

Our town has Aldi, Kroger, Walgreens, CVS, and a small locally owned market.  I have nothing stocked piled.  I have been married for 20 years and thought that I was doing good when I started making a list and shopping from it (10 years ago) instead of just going to the store often and picking up the item I went for and then whatever else caught my eye.  Now we have 3 children and our expenses are up.  I want to spend wisely on food and household items. I think I will continue to shop at Aldi while stocking up. 

Everyone,

Do you find many food deals at CVS and Walgreens?

""

Reply by Bee

1/10/2011 1:48:11 PM

I usually start my shopping at Kroger and end up at Ingle's with an every-so-often trip to Aldi for outstanding produce prices. Store brand milk at any store here tends to compete with whatever price Aldi has.

I wouldn't really go to Ingle's if they didn't have the best meat in town (and frequent sales) and great B1G1 deals. If I am going to buy something special like ethnic or organic, Ingle's is a great place to get that as well. The selection is about the best I've seen.

As I am stockpiled well, I only need to buy the great sale items at Kroger. Every week usually has something that is highly competitive, even without a Mega Sale. I don't really care for a lot of their meat, but they run 3 and 4-day sales consistently and have some decent markdowns. They also have some awesome partnerships with manufacturers that allow them to do frequent cereal promotions, etc.

I do go to Target about once a month to pick up the deals which are free or almost free.

Reply to Conversation

-OR-

Join & Reply Switch to the simple version
Please review the rules of this community before posting:

Posts and comments need to be helpful and considerate. Any posts/comments that are for self promotion or for referrals will be removed. Also posts/comments that are against proper coupon ethics or just not nice will be removed. In general a community is a happy place that is all about helping out the group!

< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS