Community Header
< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS

Stove Top Stuffing past Expiration Date

Started by Sherry 11/19/2011 10:19:27 AM

I have a box of Stove Stop Stuffing that I was going to grind up and use in a meatloaf today.  It expired Sept 2010. It's never been opened and the spices smell fine. It's the cornbread variety.  I think it's fine but wanted your opinions.  Thank you!

Share Conversation

Embed
+ Login to choose updates by email

Replies

Viewing 1 - 10 of 10
""

Reply by Sue

author of SavinSource 11/19/2011 10:39:50 AM

Ha! I find things like that occasionally in my cupboard, too. I would think that it would be okay, as it is mostly dried bread anyway. I don't think there's anything in it that would spoil. Just make certain that it doesn't smell old or moldy.

I recently opened a bag of Chex Mix that had expired several months ago and it had a definite "old" odor. I tossed it.

""

Reply by Sherry

11/19/2011 10:48:56 AM

Thanks Sue!

""

Reply by NCCheerMom

11/19/2011 2:58:34 PM

I will use expired items from time to time, if only expired a few weeks to a couple of months.  But 14 months old, I personally wouldn't risk it.  I've heard of expired boxed cake mix making people very, very sick.  Since there are lots of deals on Stove Top now, being Thanksgiving time, I would spring for a new box and not take the risk.

""

Reply by Sherry

11/19/2011 6:20:01 PM

Yea, the hubby heard the word expiration date as I was asking my Mom about it and in the trash it all went....LOL I should have known better.  Sometimes I think we have iron stomaches but rather safe than sorry-we pitched it.  Like you said, it's not that much at this time of the year.   Thank you! 

""

Reply by Kathy

11/20/2011 12:56:21 AM

What a waste! How sad that they expired and could not be used. There are many people hurting and don't have enough food on their table.We have seen such post on the SS  community comment forum.

We all, myself included, need to keep a close check on our supplies so things do not go to waste. Someone could have used those last year on their table to help feed their family.

""

Reply by Meghan

author of Mrs. Shopswell 11/20/2011 1:51:15 AM

expiration dates are for lawyers. if it still smells okay and doesn't use things like meat and eggs, you're okay. most food actually has a 3-5 year shelf life in its original packaging when kept in normal house conditions. its only because of so many frivolous lawsuits that manufacturers keep short dating their expiration dates.

Dry packed foods are typically good at least 2 years after their printed expiration date

""

Reply by Bee

11/20/2011 5:48:55 AM

I think I might have tossed it to be on the safe side.

I have sympathy for the folks who are food compromised; however, we all waste food now and again due to various factors. For instance, I don't require that my kids eat every bite of food on their plates. I do tell them to take only what they can consume, but it's not an exact science.

Consistent and ongoing waste of food indicates a condition that needs to be addressed.

The disposal of one box of Stovetop is probably not a red flag that an issue exists.

""

Reply by meg

author of Mergie 11/20/2011 6:38:08 AM

My son works in a retail drug store & he is ALWAYS checking expiration dates. I go to look for something & he's thrown it out. Even things that are downstairs in the freezer. Granted there might be a few items that are really out of date but even if it's a week over, he'll throw it out. I try to explain that some things can last longer, but he won't listen. He does replace items though, but it's frustrating to see stuff thrown out. But the Stove top was a little too old so I would have thrown that out too.

""

Reply by Tabithia

author of Pregnant and Beautiful 11/20/2011 12:54:07 PM

Lol what your son must not know is most medications in pill form are actually good for up to a year after the date! I mean, wouldn't buy them from the store out of date and I ask my uncle before I take anything! Lol, no need to be so rampant about throwing things out! 

Especially chips. If you eat chips and he throws it out tell him they're usually not even stale. 

meg's profile picture
meg said ...
My son works in a retail drug store & he is ALWAYS checking expiration dates. I go to look for something & he's thrown it out. Even things that are downstairs in the freezer. Granted there might be a few items that are really out of date but even if it's a week over, he'll throw it out. I try to explain that some things can last longer, but he won't listen. He does replace items though, but it's frustrating to see stuff thrown out. But the Stove top was a little too old so I would have thrown that out too.

""

Reply by Carrie

11/20/2011 5:22:50 PM

Things do last longer than we think they do, I probably would have used the Stove Top myself, but I live by the

"when in doubt, throw it out" principle.

Oh and medications, Rx or OTC, never really "expire" they just lose effectiveness.

Reply to Conversation

-OR-

Join & Reply Switch to the simple version
Please review the rules of this community before posting:

Posts and comments need to be helpful and considerate. Any posts/comments that are for self promotion or for referrals will be removed. Also posts/comments that are against proper coupon ethics or just not nice will be removed. In general a community is a happy place that is all about helping out the group!

< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS