Community Header
< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS

Closet Confession: I can't let go!

Started by Kat , author of Mama's Losin' It! 3/25/2011 6:33:18 PM

I have a 2nd confession to make…there are items in my closet that should not be there. Clothes that I’m convinced I’ll be small enough to fit into again someday. Maternity wear, because even though I’m done having babies you just never know. And don’t get me started on my husband’s 20 year old Air Force gear.  

This week our Closet Confessions will focus on fashion trends, clothes that you secretly hope will make a comeback, items from high school that you STILL wear, how to organize your clothes, etc.

Today’s confession:

What item in your closet should you get rid of, but can't let go?

Oh and on Friday I'm going to ask you to share a photo of the “old” you.

Share Conversation

Embed
+ Login to choose updates by email

Replies

Viewing 1 - 10 of 19
""

Reply by Michelle

author of Everyday Celebrating 3/25/2011 6:47:09 PM

oh wow.  I have TONS of clothes that I hold on to.  Here are the top reasons:

1.  I'm going to get back to that weight.

2.  Expensive suits!  I used to be a fundraiser and I have tons of suits!  I don't want to throw them out or donate them because they were expensive and what if I need a suit again?  It would save me so much money to use these (if I could fit into them)  LOL

Truth is... if a) I got back to that weight  or b) I needed a suit... I'd want to reward myself with NEW clothes.  So WHY do I keep them?????

Oh man. Oh man... There's whole "I'm gonna fit into it someday" stuff, then there's the thing that I might only wear once a year, but when that one time in the year rolls around - I am SO glad I kept it (a dress or jacket or leg warmers....)

I really do like to be prepared and I like to dress up... not necessarily fancy dress-up, like HALLOWEEN dress-up. It's nice to feel I can pwn an 80's party on short notice :)

I have this dress I fell in love with in the store years ago and bought.  I call it my "Marilyn Monroe" dress because it reminds me of that famous photo of her standing over the vent with her dress flying up.  I HAD to have it in the store, its been 3 years, and I have NEVER worn it.  Every few months, I'll "discover it", try it on, twirl in front of the mirror like a little girl, and then tuck it back in the closet.

I don't want to give it away because I love it and I keep thinking I will have a reason to wear it but never do.  Maybe I just need to drum up the courage to wear it :)  It will probably still be in my closet when I'm 90.

""

Reply by Cindy

author of Skip to my Lou 3/26/2011 10:39:36 AM

oh Holly you need to share a pic of that dress! --sounds beautiful!

""

Reply by Delishhh

author of — Delishhh 3/26/2011 11:00:24 AM

Ok now i don;t feel so bad - i have a section of if i only loose X lbs then i will fit into this section. . .i guess we all have that section in our closet.

oh, sheesh. 

There are the clothes that I WILL fit back into. 

There are the two really pretty knit ponchos...that are perfect for fall....if I remembered that I have them, because I never remember to bring them down from the "off season" closet.

There are the coverups that, seriously, just should go (but what if we go on vacation and there are *gulp* skinny people there??

There are the Keen shoes that I only wear on vacation. To the Caribbean, or canoeing whatever. Which we haven't done in years. But darnit, they were expensive, and they are there if I need them

""

Reply by Jen

author of Buried With Children 3/26/2011 2:58:35 PM

I don't have a problem with getting rid of clothes that don't fit. I like to purge so that there is room for new clothes.

But the one thing that I have a really, really hard time getting rid of is old coats. Like snowsuits that the kids wore as babies or the coat I wore when Jeff and I first started dating that has a broken zipper.

I just can't seem to let go.

""

Reply by Becky

author of chaoticbling.com 3/26/2011 3:18:04 PM

Oh how I have a hard time letting clothing go.  I still have the outfit I wore on the first date with my late husband in February 1982. I'm not sure it still fits though! And to "cap the stack" I just recently found the shirt that he wore on that same date! Glad I'm not alone! Love ya girls!

""

Reply by SITS Girls

author of The Secret to Success is Support 3/28/2011 2:28:15 PM

I'm in love with that dress just based on your DESCRIPTION of it! You must must wear it...but I love that you sneak it out every once in awhile just to play with it. So cute!

Holly's profile picture
Holly said ...
I don't want to give it away because I love it and I keep thinking I will have a reason to wear it but never do.  Maybe I just need to drum up the courage to wear it :)  It will probably still be in my closet when I'm 90.

""

Reply by Anne

author of Mama's Gotta Go 3/28/2011 3:47:41 PM

My problem is that I buy something because I love it but never get the right accessories to go with it.  I am so not good at accessorizing... so I'll have this great dress but not the right shoes, purse or jewelry to go with it.. and then I don't wear it:(  I think the only day I had it all together was my wedding day but go figure, I had a year to plan for it!

Reply to Conversation

-OR-

Join & Reply Switch to the simple version

< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS