Community Header
< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS

Transform Your Outdoor Living Space #SummerwithSears

Started by Jenny , author of Jenny On the Spot * Writer. Teacher. Funny Girl. Mom. 7/23/2012 8:00:10 AM

You know what the best part of summer is?

The sunshine? Sleeping in? Spending time outdoors? Mosquitos!

Yes, yes, yes and YES!

There is a lot to love about summer, but one of my favorite things about summer is spending time OUTSIDE.

Even better if EATING is involved, RIGHT?

Meat from the grill.

Fresh fruits.

Fresh veggies...

A little wine or a good microbrew.

Lemonade and iced tea...

All on the deck.

sad deck

Wait. Not THAT deck... THIS deck!

outdoor dining

I live near Seattle, so we have approximately 25 days a year to take advantage of decent weather.

I exaggerate.

Ish.

We have a nice little spot just outside our kitchen. Most of our 3 acres is unfit for enjoyment - unless you enjoy "natural landscaping" because... did I mention THREE acres?

our dandelions

So having sweet little eating spot is a nice place to land.

A table, some chairs, flowers and/or candles, good friends and a handful of lemons help make a summer  brunch, lunch, or dinner feel special.

Even Kevin seems to dig a spruced-up outdoor dining living space!

the dog, just chillin' outside

And sunshine. Be you man, woman, or dog... we Pacific Northwesties are SUCKERS for sunshine.

Now that I have shared what turns my backyard into my perfect summer oasis, I want to know what you’ve done to transform your backyard into your oasis. One of my lucky readers will win a $25 Sears gift card!

Need help finding your own pieces for your backyard? Sears is bringing the ease of searching for those perfect pieces with their recently launched iPad digital catalog. On your computer? Don't fear, Sears has an amazing digital catalog built just for you.

This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Sears. The opinions and text are all mine. Official Sweepstakes Rules.

Share Conversation

Embed
+ Login to choose updates by email

Replies

Viewing 1 - 8 of 8
""

Reply by Jenna

author of Stop, Drop and Blog 7/23/2012 11:32:06 AM
Right now? Our backyard is pretty empty. And kinda big (for a housing development). We planted my favorite tree (weeping cherry) for my birthday, but minus the deck, it's... a bunch of nothing. Quite honestly, I want a pool. But having just slapped down the money for a new home, we're short on extra cash. My quick-and-easy answer would be just some flowers and landscaping this year. Pool someday. ;)

""

Reply by Livivua

author of Talk about Lucky---!!!! 7/23/2012 11:50:42 AM
i love my rose garden and my hammock!

""

Reply by Lynda

7/23/2012 12:34:15 PM
I love my backyard oasis. I used a shady area under two large maple trees to create a garden retreat. I planted shade loving plants like hostas and added color with impatiens. Hydrangeas add to the color and texture. Two bird feeders bring colorful songbirds to the garden. I have a hammock swing for comfy seating. I love to go out and read or just relax and think.

""

Reply by Jenn

7/24/2012 11:06:16 AM
We are in desperate need of patio furniture. We bought a house with a pool, so obviously that is the highlight of our backyard...however, that also means that all the furniture we have purchased floats. I had a hammock once, but it sorta broke and hubs said the giant posts just couldn't "bear my load".

This year we replaced all the cushions for our outdoor set - the old ones were worn and a blah neutral color so I went with a vibrant orange bottom and patterned pillow. We added a couple of umbrellas in the mix because we knew the heat would be brutal and it all came together nicely. :)

""

Reply by Jennifer

7/24/2012 2:58:45 PM
We are currently is process of making a tiny backyard something special. We are building planter boxes and will plant actual food in them. My husband wants to lay some brick or rock where there isn't planters for the grill. He also wants to make a new table top for our old dining table to become our outdoor table. Working on it!

Fire pit, camping chairs, s'mores fixin's and a nice fire!! :)

""

Reply by Dr. P.J. Huerta

author of Bits and Pieces 8/1/2012 12:00:55 PM
I have a big blah rectangle empty lot for a side yard (Back yard teeny-tiny)... made a path through the narrow strip in back using pavers... made a seating area by repainting an old Adirondack chair and purchasing two (plastic) white chairs. I used an old window, beaded the glass with dollar store beads then resin to seal. A friend created the table for the window tabletop. added two little flower spots by the old fence, added a few pots to create a separation from the rest of the yard. Voila' my new TEA GARDEN. Pics here: vhttps://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4196836278446.2182332.1210916006&type=3&l=09d9a32975 and Here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4422272594213.2187154.1210916006&type=3&l=afd6d775ab

Reply to Conversation

-OR-

Join & Reply Switch to the simple version

< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS