Community Header
< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS

Holiday Traditions

Started by Kelly , author of According To Kelly — A Haphazard Diary of Life 11/30/2010 2:15:49 PM

Wahoo! The "holidays" are officially here! What are some of your family's favorite traditions?

Share Conversation

Embed
+ Login to choose updates by email

Replies

Viewing 1 - 9 of 9
""

Reply by Jen {Tiny Oranges}

author of Tiny Oranges - Fresh, fun blog for OC moms 11/30/2010 5:08:13 PM

My mother-in-law is from Switzerland so every Christmas Eve we spend it with my in-laws and she makes traditional Swiss fondue.  I crave it all year long! 

""

Reply by Kirsty

author of Kirsty Girl 11/30/2010 5:29:15 PM

Well there are a few that I'm sure everyone shares, hopping in the car at night to have a look at all the wonderful houses with their decorations and lights up. Putting up the Christmas tree together, taking it in turn to unwrap Santa's presents, each baking something the day before Christmas and watching Carols by Candlelight on Christmas Eve.

We celebrate Christmas with a mix of Mexican, Italian and American traditions. My hubby's grandmother is from Italy and we make homemade pizza and pastry's on Christmas eve. We also incorporate Mexican traditions with a huge family gathering Christmas eve where we play games, eat tamales and champurrado and have a great time. We also open presents at midnight.

Christmas morning is usually celebrated at home . I usually make a special breakfast which usually includes homemade cinnamon rolls and baked french toast. After presents are opened we usually head out to see a movie and head up to Big Bear to celebrate with my husband's family.

""

Reply by Ruth

author of So Cal Pocket Memories 12/1/2010 9:37:19 AM

On Christmas Eve my parents always give me NEW PJ's.  I love it and still look forward to it every year!

YUM! the funny thing is... the ENTIRE time we were Switzerland we tried to find "traditional" swiss fondue with now luck! We really started to wonder if it really was a Swiss tradition!

Jen {Tiny Oranges}'s profile picture
Jen {Tiny Oranges} said ...
My mother-in-law is from Switzerland so every Christmas Eve we spend it with my in-laws and she makes traditional Swiss fondue.  I crave it all year long! 

I LOVE light stalking! So fun! Do you have favorite neighborhoods you hit up every year?

Kirsty's profile picture
Kirsty said ...
Well there are a few that I'm sure everyone shares, hopping in the car at night to have a look at all the wonderful houses with their decorations and lights up. Putting up the Christmas tree together, taking it in turn to unwrap Santa's presents, each baking something the day before Christmas and watching Carols by Candlelight on Christmas Eve.

me too! If my mom ever stopped giving pjs, christmas just wouldn't be the same.

Ruth's profile picture
Ruth said ...
On Christmas Eve my parents always give me NEW PJ's.  I love it and still look forward to it every year!

every year we do an activity based advent calendar of sorts...

each & every day we do something that is holiday-inspired, to do together as a family.

http://according-to-kelly.com/2010/11/countdown-to-christmas-2/

""

Reply by Kirsty

author of Kirsty Girl 12/4/2010 12:29:21 AM

Definitely! I mean there are always the best places with lights but one of my favourites is going to a house all done up where a guess some Dad dresses up as Santa and hands out lollies to everyone that passes! So sweet.

Kelly's profile picture
Kelly said ...
I LOVE light stalking! So fun! Do you have favorite neighborhoods you hit up every year?

Reply to Conversation

-OR-

Join & Reply Switch to the simple version

< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS