Community Header
< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS

do you do sign language with your bub?

Started by adriel , author of the mommyhood memos 8/6/2010 7:09:55 AM

I'm just starting to introduce some simple signs to Levi and just wondering if any other moms out there want to share their experiences with this? Also wondering if you've found any good online resources or tutorials?

Share Conversation

Embed
+ Login to choose updates by email

Replies

Viewing 1 - 10 of 14
""

Reply by Morgan

author of The Little Hen House 8/6/2010 3:28:03 PM

Hi again,

I did signs with Emma. We did "all done" and most of the zoo animals. I'm going to do more with Annie. I'm working on "all done", "more", "milk", and the animals.

I was amazed at how quickly Emma picked it up. She could always tell me when meal time was over for her. She even started to do it when I would do things to her that she didn't like. ie: wash her hair, change her diaper, swim lessons... 

I was part of a mommy group at our rec center and our "leader" taught us how to do it. I'm sure there is great info online. I wouldn't waste your money with a class unless you want something to do. Or promote your blog.... :) 

Good luck!

yes,

we have been doing it since K was born.  He can do milk, all done, more, and is now doing hat (I know random)

He knows others, like change, medicine, bath

We love the signing time Dvds - the first season.  They are really cute!

""

Reply by adriel

author of the mommyhood memos 8/7/2010 10:50:42 AM

Yeah, no group like that around here that I know of. I was thinking more of an online resource or something...

Profile picture for Morgan
Morgan said ...
I was part of a mommy group at our rec center and our "leader" taught us how to do it. I'm sure there is great info online. I wouldn't waste your money with a class unless you want something to do. Or promote your blog.... :) 

Wow, since K was born?? And please remind me, how old is bubs now? I'll have to see if Signing Times has a website...

Profile picture for Emily
Emily said ...
we have been doing it since K was born.  He can do milk, all done, more, and is now doing hat (I know random)

""

Reply by Betsy

author of Waiting for Skittle 8/7/2010 7:44:45 PM

We just started like, last week, and just today Gunne signed "milk" at me. He can say "all done" (ah duh) so I think he thinks I'm being silly with that one!

""

Reply by Tracy

author of Sellabit Mum 8/8/2010 6:06:09 AM

We did baby signs with all of our kids. Just the simple - "what do you need?" type signs.  More, all done, eat, nurse are the main ones that help so much.

My older girls have also taught the baby some other ones for fun - like fan, light, fish, bird, hat.

I have found just the simple "need" signs to be so important before they can verbalize.  And they pick them up so quickly! 

""

Reply by adriel

author of the mommyhood memos 8/8/2010 9:31:59 AM

We're just starting with a couple of these... as it's so obvious that Levi gets "smarter" every day and no doubt he's comprehending more.

I'm starting with: please, thank you, food, drink, more, and finished.

Question: What age did you find guys find your bubs start signing back? Just curious. (I promise to be patient while I wait... but I do wonder what to expect.) ;)

Oh yeah, and I especially like the idea of being able to use it in the future for things like manners when they are in front of other people - you know, be able to discretely remind them to say "thanks" or "please" or "excuse me"...

Has that worked for you with your older children? (Or maybe they're so well-trained that you never need to remind them? ;) )

Awesome discussion....

""

Reply by adriel

author of the mommyhood memos 8/8/2010 9:36:04 AM

p.s. Levi has started shaking his head "no" the last few days... I think to him it means no / finished / I don't want (or like) that / I'm not ready / I don't want to sleep... all at once. 

Another question: Have any of you tried a "I'm coming back" sign or anything like that? 

""

Reply by Queenie

author of thePLANETpink 8/8/2010 10:08:51 PM

We taught all the girls "more", "please", "thank you" and "all done".  All of them picked up on "more" first, usually around 9 months or so.

""

Reply by Shayna

author of Life: Forward 8/9/2010 9:07:01 AM

As someone who has been signing since birth (my mom was a teacher of the deaf before she had me), I hope that you all keep up the signing even once your kids start speaking --- it is a wonderful language, and a lot of fun!  Check out the schools for the deaf in your area and local community colleges for courses for adults and kids :-)

""

Reply by Crystal

author of Crystal's Cozy Kitchen 8/9/2010 1:27:08 PM

I have used some signs with my son. I took ASL in college so I did not need any outside resources... I just sign the words that I want him to use to communicate with me as I say them aloud. It works out great. I know some people who sign the whole sentence to their children so they will pick up on the language, but I have not been that diligent.

Reply to Conversation

-OR-

Join & Reply Switch to the simple version
Please review the rules of this community before posting:

be nice. always share. play fair. have fun!

< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS