Community Header
< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS

anyone use cloth diapers?

Started by adriel , author of the mommyhood memos 7/25/2010 9:01:07 PM

We're just making the switch to cloth diapers as of this last week for our (almost) six-month old. We have Bumgenius all-in-ones and so far I LOVE them. They seem really absorbent too...

I'm just wondering how often you end up changing your little one? I feel like we're not going through them as quickly as I thought we would. (Good for the loads of laundry, but... how must baby feel?)

What do you think is average for a six-month old (who's just started solids)?

Share Conversation

Embed
+ Login to choose updates by email

Replies

Viewing 1 - 10 of 21
""

Reply by Betsy

author of Waiting for Skittle 7/26/2010 9:31:38 AM

We use gDiapers during the day and twinkletoes at night. I usually change him before each nap and any time he poops as well as when he first wakes up. I do laundry about every 4 days with 8 gDiapers and 2 Twinkletoes with 4 overnight liners and about 36 gDiaper inserts.

""

Reply by Cameron

author of Ingenue Mom 7/26/2010 2:18:05 PM

I use cloth diapers! We only use GroBaby diapers. It's actually funny that you posted this because Cloth Diaper Whisperer just posted a video comparing the GroBaby diapers that we have with the new line from the company's re-launch as GroVia diapers! I have major cloth diaper envy & I want the new ones now!!

Either way, on to your question - I've gotten in the habit of changing Isis about every 2 hours. Sometimes earlier if I hear her poo or something, but now that she's started solids, she only poos once a day. I try to change it every 2 hours because then she never gets diaper rash. She sleeps through the night, so we don't change her diaper at night. We wash diapers every 2-3 days.

""

Reply by Dawn

author of Life Unscripted 7/26/2010 3:08:52 PM

I use disposables! Sorry! I cant handle poop in clothing LOL

Its funny! I can change a disposable diaper like no problem, but when Courtney was potty training and had a poop accident, I would gag and just throw her underwear away! indecision

Crazy, I know!

""

Reply by Betsy

author of Waiting for Skittle 7/26/2010 3:54:02 PM

@ Dawn, see this is where I anticipate cloth diapering coming in handy; I'm already used to swishing out poopy pants in the toilet - poopy training pants won't faze me at all!

""

Reply by adriel

author of the mommyhood memos 7/26/2010 8:04:52 PM

I think it's pretty gaggy too... but I figure I'll get used to it! ;)

Profile picture for Dawn
Dawn said ...
Its funny! I can change a disposable diaper like no problem, but when Courtney was potty training and had a poop accident, I would gag and just throw her underwear away! indecision

""

Reply by adriel

author of the mommyhood memos 7/26/2010 8:07:20 PM

betsy and cameron - i think i've been doing it "wrong". do you only change out the liners then if it's wet?? but not the outside "diaper" part? 

i saw you posted about this... going to read it soon! great!! :)

Profile picture for Cameron
Cameron said ...
I use cloth diapers! We only use GroBaby diapers. It's actually funny that you posted this because Cloth Diaper Whisperer just posted a video comparing the GroBaby diapers that we have with the new line from the company's re-launch as GroVia diapers! I have major cloth diaper envy & I want the new ones now!!

""

Reply by Cameron

author of Ingenue Mom 7/26/2010 8:16:25 PM

Ok I don't know how to explain this right, but I take the whole diaper off if it's just wet & I put the liner in the diaper pail, but I set the shell to the side & kinda let it air out for the next couple of hours & I use it with the next diaper change. So she gets an all new shell & liner each change, but the shell is sometimes one that has been used earlier that day. Does that make sense??

If it's a poo diaper, I put the whole thing in the diaper pail - after spraying it off in the toilet with my diaper sprayer, of course! :-) I LOVE that thing!

""

Reply by adriel

author of the mommyhood memos 7/26/2010 9:31:10 PM

oh, that makes a lot more sense! thank you cameron.

also, where did you get your sprayer and was it expensive?

Profile picture for Cameron
Cameron said ...
If it's a poo diaper, I put the whole thing in the diaper pail - after spraying it off in the toilet with my diaper sprayer, of course! :-) I LOVE that thing!

""

Reply by Cameron

author of Ingenue Mom 7/26/2010 9:47:17 PM

I got mine at Kelly's Closet. It's the BumGenius brand. It was like $45 & actually I registered there, so it was bought for me. But I think you can get them on eBay for less. It was a lot, but we use it so much that it was totally worth it. I don't think I'd be as excited about my diapers without the sprayer.

""

Reply by adriel

author of the mommyhood memos 7/27/2010 6:02:05 AM

Yeah, we're definitely going to have to look into that! I've been putting them in a bucket and then doing a couple at a time with big old rubber gloves! Not as efficient, I'm sure! it would be worth the $45 in the long run, especially since this is only our first child and we plan to have more... Thanks for that tip.

Reply to Conversation

-OR-

Join & Reply Switch to the simple version
Please review the rules of this community before posting:

be nice. always share. play fair. have fun!

< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS