Community Header
< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS

Wild Things Book Club Week #2

Started by The MOB Society , author of The MOB Society - For Moms of boys, by moms of boys 7/22/2010 2:24:16 PM

Hi ladies!

Sorry this is so late!

This week we are reading and discussing the first two chapters of Wild Things that follow the age/stage chapters! Those chapters are The Mind of a Boy and A Boy's Brain - two mystery areas for us mamas!

What have you found interesting/challenging about these chapters?

Share Conversation

Embed
+ Login to choose updates by email

Replies

Viewing 1 - 2 of 2
""

Reply by Emily

7/22/2010 7:37:04 PM

I really appreciate the humor yet TRUTH of the __ + ___+ ___= Boys! The one that related the most for my son was Lights + sounds + moving images = Zombie boys ;-) I was fascinated by the science the authors shared in explaining how the brain develops in boys vs. girls and I hope this has helped me cut my son some slack or challenge him in different areas. "Understanding how their bodies are made to wok is a form of loving them well." The list of mistakes/tips was a treasure for me. Easy to understand, easy to implement! My family is reaping immediate blessings!

""

Reply by Sheena

author of Tales of a Mommy Monster 7/23/2010 10:18:08 AM

The points that struck me and made me say "ah ha!" were the point of boys being action-oriented, and the explanation of why boys focus on one thing and why girls can tell you every detail of their day.

I wondered about the idea that girls can change focus quicker than boys (e.g. boys playing Wii "ignoring" mom standing by him and calling his name). Even older boys have this problem - is that a "holdover" problem from something not developing correctly, or just the nature of all boys and men?

"When we don't intentionally channel and guide our boys aggression, independence, tension, ambition, assertiveness, and competitiveness, we do them a great disservice." I love this idea, and I think it's the reason a lot of boys are so lost when they become men.

Of the mistakes they listed, verbal flooding is the one I tend to make. My son's only 2 1/2, so I generally give him short commands, but I teach a class of seven 5-10 year old boys each week, and I tend to overwhelm them with words. I'm a teacher by personality, and I want to explain everything. As my DS gets older, I know I'll lean toward doing this with him.

Reply to Conversation

-OR-

Join & Reply Switch to the simple version
Please review the rules of this community before posting:

We are a Christian-based community, focused on reaching the hearts of boys for the Gospel and raising a generation of men to love the Lord. Have fun, but please keep it clean!

< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS