Community Header
< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS

How To Be A Blogger When You Have A Fulltime Job?

Started by The Lady Bloggers Society , author of The Lady Bloggers Society — 9/2/2011 12:16:01 PM

I am working with a new client who has a full-time job and is trying to figure out how to make money with her blog and connect with other people through social networks. 

Do you work full time and still find time to blog? How do you stay update to everything in the blogging world when your stuck at work until 5pm?

Share Conversation

Embed
+ Login to choose updates by email

Replies

Viewing 1 - 10 of 19
""

Reply by Sili

author of My Mamihood 9/2/2011 12:26:30 PM
I am looking for the same advice. Thinking that I want to monetize my blog but unsure of how to do it. There's so much information out there that sometimes it's overwhelming to try and hit all of the sites while still trying to do what has to be done after work. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

""

Reply by Nicole

author of The World of My Imagination 9/2/2011 2:49:32 PM
I'm facing the same dilemma. I guess it sort of depends on the work environment; but for me, I usually try to write my blog posts in advance (write two weeks worth of blog posts on the weekend and schedule them to post) and then I read blogs during my lunch break so I can still keep up with what everyone else is doing. I'm having a little trouble with the promotional element, because I can spend as much time on Twitter, and such as I would like. But at least I'm still blogging!

""

Reply by Paige

author of this little life... 9/2/2011 3:57:41 PM
I love blogging! But with my gig as a stay-at-home Mom gig about to expire and my working Mom status beginning soon, I too wonder how to find the time to keep up with my blog. I have to look at it realistically... I cannot possibly post every day of the week, and I have to be ok with that. There are certain link-ups that I will want to do and I will also need to carve out a certain amount of time per day (again being realistic) to read the blogs I follow. I like the idea of scheduling posts in advance, that will work. I'd love to monetize, but I'm not sure of the right way to do it right now. It can be overwhelming, but we (I) have to stick to my niche and communicate my brand.

""

Reply by Sonia

author of logallot.com 9/2/2011 6:53:24 PM

Hey Ladies I just wrote a post about this. Check it out and let me know what you think:

5 Tips on How To Find Time to Blog When You Work An 8-5 Job.

""

Reply by Kimberly

9/2/2011 7:10:07 PM
I try to pace myself. At first I was blogging at least every other day . Now I blog about once or twice a week.

""

Reply by Helen

9/2/2011 9:36:01 PM
I began writing when my kids were little, raised a special needs child and managed to write, edit and promo 37 (published) novels in 15 years - and I didn't have big chunks of time. The trick is to fill the spaces. I used to carry a digital voice recorder and a mini word processor, always had a notebook and camera to capture inspiration. I even had a dry erase board in the shower to make notes on those ideas that always came at the worst times. Now a phone covers for all but the dry erase board. Now I work full time, still write novels and blog 3xs a week. The skills are the same. The key is to catch bits and pieces when you can. Let ideas brew in the back of your head so when you sit down to write, you have a lot of the work done. Get up early on a day you need to write a post, or stay up late. Make it a priority and it will get easier each time (except when it's not, of course).

""

Reply by Alison

author of Embrace the Struggle 9/3/2011 11:03:12 PM

Pacing yourself is key.  Better to post less often, but consistently, than to increase output and be burned out.  I only post once a week and that's just enough for me, at least for now.  I'm just starting out as a blogger.

""

Reply by Shannyn

author of Frugal Beautiful 9/4/2011 11:58:30 AM

I am a graduate student taking a full course load and I also work part time about 10-20 hrs. a week (it varies).  I find time for blogging because to me, it's a hobby...it's a release.  I enjoy doing it, so it's inadvertently become a part of my "me time," and posting or talking to other bloggers keeps me happy and sane despite my intense work schedule!

If a blogger thinks it's a chore to keep up with their blog, then it might not be the right topic. I love talking about frugality/fashion/beauty/personal development so much that it's fun for me...that'd be my suggestion:  "You can blog while really busy as long as you love what you blog!"  :)

""

Reply by Aileen

author of Home Sweet Home 9/4/2011 3:37:42 PM

I love to blog but work full time 8.30 to 5.00 5 days a week, I attend dance class and zumba class and spend some of my free time renovating the home and restoring furniture.  When I complete a project I write about it in my blog.  I have spent more time outdoors this summer too so probably will devote more time to my blog in the winter months.  I am happy to share my projects and ideas with you all as and when I get the time.     

http://aileent-homesweethome.blogspot.com/

""

Reply by Adrian

author of Adrian's Crazy Life 9/10/2011 9:33:04 AM
I've worked full time for tbhe last 35 years, so I guess the novelty of it has worn off. I have written over 800 blog posts in the last few years, so I guess it wasn't too much of ahinderance to me. Echoing what Helen said, you just get a lot of the writing done in your head and work on it when you have the time here & there. I'm writing this from my droid and I just bought the cutest little blue netbook. Like Tim Gunn says - Make it work!

Reply to Conversation

-OR-

Join & Reply Switch to the simple version
Please review the rules of this community before posting:

Please refrain from attacking other members, their character or their beliefs. These boards ARE moderated and any members found acting unladylike will be removed and unlisted from our website.

< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS