Community Header
< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS

What is one thing that you learned since becoming a parent?

Started by Maria , author of Tough Cookie Mommy 11/28/2010 2:58:33 PM

Since becoming a parent, I have realized that I will never have the bathroom to myself.  What is one thing that you have learned since becoming a parent?

Share Conversation

Embed
+ Login to choose updates by email

Replies

Viewing 1 - 10 of 17
""

Reply by Carol Lawrence

author of Intentional Conscious Parenting 11/30/2010 12:30:28 PM

Wow, good question.

I learned that children come in with an infinite amount of knowing. We just have to listen.

We think because they little humans they don't know anything. That is so far from the truth. Give them time, they will show you the infinite knowledge they come here with!

""

Reply by Maria

author of Tough Cookie Mommy 12/1/2010 6:15:44 PM

Carol, I completely agree with you.  We could learn a lot from our children if we just listen and pay attention.  I believe that they are born with their distinct personalities and know exactly what they want in many cases.

""

Reply by Teresa

author of Single Southern Mommy 12/2/2010 7:28:49 AM

I learned so much from being a parent but the most valuable lesson is Patience. I didnt have any before I had my daughter lol. But with time I learned to take it slow and give her time to learn and do things and to keep a cool head. Im very grateful for that. 

""

Reply by Maria

author of Tough Cookie Mommy 12/2/2010 9:12:46 PM

Teresa, that is so true.  I also did not have any patience before I had my sons, especially for younger children.  They have taught me the importance of allowing them to progress at their own pace and how to really enjoy this time with them.

""

Reply by Kristi

author of live and love...out loud 12/4/2010 1:59:51 AM

One of the most important things I've learned is that I have a voice and my children need my voice. My voice provides guidance, reassurance, acceptance, praise, discipline and most of all love. And, my voice is also their greatest ally. As their number one advocate, I must have a voice. This is something I've learned in dealing with IEP's for the last 10 years. I am my children's number one advocate and if I don't use my voice, I'll fail them.

Kristi, Live and Love...Out Loud
@TweetingMama

""

Reply by Maria

author of Tough Cookie Mommy 12/4/2010 1:24:56 PM

Kristi, I think that this is such an importan point that you bring up.  As an educator, I cannot begin to tell you how many parents fail to advocate for their children.  I'm not sure if this has to do with the fact that they are unaware of their rights and of how much power they really have within the school system or if they are intimidated by school officials.  In any case, we definitely have to use our voices for all of the reasons that you stated and especially to advocate for our children in order to make sure that their best interests are always served.

""

Reply by Rebekah

author of Thoughtful Momma 12/4/2010 7:11:54 PM

That being a mother isn't validating.  Fulfilling, yes.  But looking for validation from your children is a dead end, lol.  And it should be! Our job is to validate them, not the other way around.

""

Reply by Maria

author of Tough Cookie Mommy 12/5/2010 11:33:45 AM

Rebekah, I love that response!  Our job is definitely to validate them and this is so important for boosting their self-esteem and confidence.

""

Reply by Danielle

author of Parenting For Less 12/5/2010 12:04:34 PM

I have learned that if we follow our children, they will find their own interests.  My daughter loves horses and takes riding lessons.  I always imagined that she would like music.  Not sure where the love of horses came from, but I need to let her become her own person.

""

Reply by Daria

author of Mom In Management 12/5/2010 5:26:42 PM
  1. That my happiness is wrapped up in the wellbeing of these little people now. 
  2. Just picking up the keys and walking out of the house is no longer possible.
  3. You NEED to lock your bedroom door.
  4. Drinking beer locked in the bathroom does not indicate you have a problem.
  5. Farts are universally funny.
  6. There's no better sound than a true belly laugh from your child.
  7. Music soothes even the crazy child beast.
  8. Me time is nearly impossible.
  9. We really should be able to lock our nail polish and makeup drawers.
  10. And plenty more!!

Reply to Conversation

-OR-

Join & Reply Switch to the simple version
Please review the rules of this community before posting:

The only rule of my community is that all members respect each others' ideas and points of view regardless of whether or not they agree with one another.

< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS