Community Header
< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS

DAY 1 - "31 Days to Build a Better Blog" Challenge: WRITE AN ELEVATOR PITCH!

Started by Shannon , author of Milk and Cuddles 9/30/2011 9:23:57 PM

Welcome to the Mom Loop #31DBBB Challenge!

In case you are new to this concept, a quick explanation of what we are doing can be found here. If you still need to buy the book we are basing the challenges on by Darren Rowse - you can use the discount code: Business2Blogger for 25% off! The book will explain the days tasks in detail!

DAY 1 - Write an Elevator Pitch!

Darren Rowse of ProBlogger tells us "One of the most important reasons to do this exercise is that to develop an elevator pitch, YOU as a blogger need to have thought through and crystallized in your mind what your blog is about."

I found that this was a surprisingly difficult challenge for me! Because when I wrote perspective "pitches" on paper they looked good. But when I tried to say them out loud they sounded artificial!

In the end I made my "short pitch" something very simple and succinct.

My Pitch:

"MilkandCuddles.com is a blog that shares inspiring resources for making a home and being a parent creatively!"

How did you find the challenge on Day 1 of our #31DBBB?

I'd love feedback on my Elevator Pitch! if you would too, share yours below!

Share Conversation

Embed
+ Login to choose updates by email

Replies

Viewing 31 - 40 of 117
""

Reply by simply heidi

author of Frantically Simple 10/1/2011 8:48:19 PM

Frantically Simple is... huh, that's all I've got.  Looks like I need to give this some more thought.

""

Reply by Laurie

author of NonsensAbility 10/1/2011 9:14:22 PM

ugh.  I've been trying all day, and all I've figured out is that I really have had no true "direction" for my blog, which means this is really, really important.....

I WILL get this done by midnight...*repeating over and over like the little train that could*

""

Reply by Debbie

author of RainbowsWithinReach 10/1/2011 10:18:59 PM

When I'm in an elevator with actual 'new' people I actually say,

"I'm a children's picture book author & illustrator, using my original songs as the text for my books. I blog about my journeys across the country & around the world to classrooms, libraries and conferences. I wish you'd come & get further acquainted." 

Then I hand them my business card or tell them what time my workshop takes place. BTW: in elevators at conferences I'm dressed in TRULY start-a-conversation type/original/eye-catching clothing -- just so I can initiate this conversation. LOL. It has truly "worked" in that often people come to my workshop based on the conversation that starts. Once based on this elevator conversation, I ended up with my book being reviewed in a national magazine: HONEST!

I purchased 31DBBB earlier this summer & have been working independantly. On my masthead I have my personal name, my blog name and three additional words:

• Children
  • Arts
  • Literacy

Later in the challenge there's a lot that says how that first impression is literally just a blink. (I used to have an entire paragraph blahblahblahblahblah in the header..... it got shorter and shorter and shorter all summer. Now I'm down to 3 words. LOL)

I don't know how we "answer/respond" to someone else in the discussion. Tutorial please.

So happy to be part of the accountability factor!!

""

Reply by Katherine

10/1/2011 10:36:48 PM

http://wefells.blogspot.com/

Daily moments that shouldn't go unnoticed... Finding peace and joy in everyday craziness. :)

http://getnoticedboutique.blogspot.com/

At Get Noticed Boutique, we fully believe that 'Life is Too Short to Blend in'. We work with each customer to provide them with a unique style of their own.

http://naptimedesignbykat.blogspot.com/

http://naptimedesign.wordpress.com/

Social Media, Web & Graphic design, paper crafts and marketing - creative, crafty, and divinely inspired.

""

Reply by Savannah

author of Hammock Tracks 10/1/2011 11:15:54 PM

My blog is Hammock Tracks.

Hammock - an elevated tract of land rising above the general level of a marsh region. Or in other words, where we call home. This is a record of our life, or the "tracks" we leave there. We are the parents of four children. We home school and do other crazy things like raise rabbits, garden, fish, hunt and spend a lot of time together. Just as animals leave tracks in the marsh near our home, we leave tracks here for you to read, learn from, be inspired by, and hopefully enjoy.

""

Reply by Laurie

author of NonsensAbility 10/1/2011 11:19:45 PM

OK, well, this has been both frustrating and hugely beneficial.  I started my blog to write down some the silly things I made up for my granddaughter, and then it mushroomed into a little bit of everything about kids, which really isn't my thing.  You all can have the arts and crafts.  I just like writing and reading nonsense, lol.

So that led to me deciding to rename my blog, which then led to me totally screwing up google analytics (that took me forever to set up, finding that </head> tag was a nightmare!).  Oh, and my Amazon associates ID, and everything I'd already sent out, and....you get the picture.

But, I think that scaling down into a smaller "niche" will be what I need to do, and I also left out the references to children even though it will be mostly geared in that direction.

*drum roll*

New blog name is NonsensAbility

Elevator pitch:

NonsensAbility is a testimonial to my aptitude for absurdity, faculty for foolishness, skill at scribbling senseless silliness, and adoration of artful alliteration.

Not sure that  this is something that I could say in the course of normal conversation, but I think it at least sums up the blog a bit better.

Any suggestions?

OMG, it's day two already...

Laurie

""

Reply by Laurie

author of NonsensAbility 10/1/2011 11:24:05 PM

Debbie's profile picture
Debbie said ...
  • Children
  • Arts
  • Literacy

•  So if I take my cue from you, my teeny tiny elevator pitch would be
  • absurdity
  • foolishness
  • silliness
  • alliteration

...My life in a "nut"shell.  I like it!

""

Reply by Laurie

author of NonsensAbility 10/1/2011 11:39:27 PM

Katherine's profile picture
Katherine said ...
Daily moments that shouldn't go unnoticed... Finding peace and joy in everyday craziness. :)

I like it, and it fits your blog, I enjoyed reading about your daily life with the kiddos, and how you found the "peace and joy"!

""

Reply by Laurie

author of NonsensAbility 10/1/2011 11:43:22 PM

I really like that!  What a wonderful analogy....  hang on, let me look up analogy.... yup, analogy.  I wish I had all day to read other peoples blogs!

Well, I read enough to know that now it's 12:47 am and I want some warm tomato and bacon pasta salad.  

Laurie

Savannah's profile picture
Savannah said ...
Hammock - an elevated tract of land rising above the general level of a marsh region. Or in other words, where we call home. This is a record of our life, or the "tracks" we leave there. We are the parents of four children. We home school and do other crazy things like raise rabbits, garden, fish, hunt and spend a lot of time together. Just as animals leave tracks in the marsh near our home, we leave tracks here for you to read, learn from, be inspired by, and hopefully enjoy.

""

Reply by Beth Anne

author of The Catholic Couponer 10/2/2011 12:28:26 AM

@Laurie I know! I spend WAYYY to much time already reading other peoples blogs and I don't even read that many!! If I worked on my own blog and job searching as much as I read blogs I'd have an awesome blog and job :)

Reply to Conversation

-OR-

Join & Reply Switch to the simple version
Please review the rules of this community before posting:

Be nice and don't spam :)

< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS