Community Header
< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS

Grilling By the Seat of Your Pants

Started by Shell , author of Not Quite Susie 7/11/2012 4:00:10 AM

A couple of months ago, my fiancée Justin shared why he loves grilling so much. Today he’s back to share his tips for being a good host while manning the grill.

Living in Las Vegas and grilling outdoors in the summer go together like peanut butter and jelly{fish}. You’d think the nutty, smooth and satisfying flavors of the peanut butter would even out and accentuate the taste of the jellyfish, but you’d be wrong. It just stings. However, I find myself hosting parties that require I man the grill and entertain my friends and family a few times every month. I willingly accept that duty since I have an unhealthy obsession with all things meat, {well, most things meat but that seems like a tangent we should avoid for now} and I find it’s really not that bad if you can find a way to bring the party to you. Here are a few tips:

1. Bring the party outside.

Grilling outside by yourself while you gaze longingly through a window at your air conditioned guests is a recipe for a bad time. It always puts me in a bad mood, and I end up over cooking most of the food in a mad rush to cool down.  To avoid that, I provide plenty of shade outside for me and my guests and bring all the appetizers outside with me. Nothing attracts guests like food {chances are that’s the main reason they decided to come over in the first place}. If possible, stage the main event of the party outside before dinner as well, such as swimming or turning the sprinklers on for the kids to run through.

2. Trick them.

Now remember this is Las Vegas we’re talking about, so you may need to be a little cunning.  My go to move is to offer to show a few people the work I’ve done to my backyard. I’m always doing little things outside in my normal upkeep, so I just talk those up a bit. For instance, “I need to go throw the burgers on the grill, let me get your opinion on how I trimmed this hedge.” The last part of that is the real key that separates the pros and the amateurs, always ask for their opinion, people love that. In the end it’s a little underhanded but they’re getting free food and get to see some real hedge artistry.

3. Pants.

Just remember that they are always optional. Let’s be honest, it’s hot outside and nothing says party like no pants. {This is an advanced option, if done incorrectly it could lead to everyone leaving, and lawsuits}. Use at your own discretion.

4. Other people.

The more you perfect the steps above, the easier amassing everyone outside with you becomes. Although not quite as effective as the “no pants” tip, nothing draws people like more people. Even though you’re only discussing why you turned your hedge into a square and not a rectangle, if enough people come over pretty soon everyone will want to know what all the fuss is about.

5. Be a good host.

I know that seems a bit obvious, but it deserves to be mentioned. The only reason people came over was to be with you and your family, and if you invited them you must like them too. {If you didn’t invite them refer to step 3}. Just relax and have a good time. It’s a party full of friends, family, and fresh grilled food, what’s not to like? {Other than pants.}

How do you entertain people while you’re grilling? One of my lucky readers who answers below will win a $25 Sears Gift Card! 

This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Sears. The opinions and text are all mine. Official Sweepstakes Rules.

Share Conversation

Embed
+ Login to choose updates by email

Replies

Viewing 1 - 10 of 15
""

Reply by Jennifer

author of Rebel Chick's Journey 7/11/2012 6:47:24 AM
Well, pants are always mandatory at my parties, unless it's a pool party! I also bring all of the apps and cocktails outside so that my guests are forced to stay outside with me!

""

Reply by Jennifer

author of Double Duty Mommy 7/11/2012 8:16:11 AM
plan plan plan!

""

Reply by Livivua

author of Talk about Lucky---!!!! 7/11/2012 12:06:22 PM
We play dominoes or tell old funny stories from the good ole days!

I'm laughing at the tricking part. My husband does that too!!

We do as much prepping ahead of time as possible so that we can spend time visiting and not as much time grilling and cooking.

""

Reply by Staci

author of 7 on a Shoestring 7/11/2012 4:54:03 PM
Great tips! I especially love #3! ;P

Those are great tips and very funny too! My tip is to make bubbles available to keep everyone busy they are fun for kids and adults too.

When hosting a party, be sure to make some things like your pasta salads the night before.

Reply to Conversation

-OR-

Join & Reply Switch to the simple version
Please review the rules of this community before posting:

1. Be nice to each other. This is a drama free zone. 2. Please no Rick Rolls- my Hubby gets that stuck in my head enough as it is. 3. That's it. :)

< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS