Community Header
< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS

An Uncompromising Compromise

Started by Shell , author of Not Quite Susie 5/3/2012 5:00:10 AM

Today, I'm pleased to finally introduce you to Justin! Today he's going to be sharing his love of grilling {&a little insight into what puts the "Not Quite" in my blog name}. Enjoy!

I despise cooking.  Despite working for a deli meat company, I refuse to make sandwiches because cutting tomatoes is so tedious. In a world of microwaves and iPhones, how can I be expected to find the time to assemble a meal that takes longer than 3 minutes to cook? In the case of a microwave, that is enough time to not only cook a meal but turn anything into a molten weapon, and in the time it takes my oven to preheat I could liberate an entire civilization of Angry Birds. However, when I’m not defending birds against hordes of multicolored pigs, I find great joy in grilling their legs and thighs until their skin becomes the perfect hue of golden brown. {In my defense, I’d just as quickly grill a pork chop wrapped in enough bacon to meet the caloric needs of my entire family.} But to understand how my hatred of cooking can coincide so well with my love of grilling, there a few things you should know.

My fiancée (the author and creator of this very blog) is a crazy person. The food that gets served at my house all has to get filtered through her crazy funnel before it even has a chance of being made. Since she is a pseudo-vegetarian, this immediately disqualifies all beef. {Except Philly Cheese Steak subs because those are delicious… and the occasional steak if it is part of a big family meal.} She also refuses to eat any seafood, yet begs to come with me to ‘All You Can Eat’ sushi for the opportunity to pay 25 dollars for teriyaki chicken wrapped in ten pieces of rice. Pork is out of the question regardless of the fact that bacon can literally make anything taste like magic and rainbows. Which leaves me with only poultry, which she will gladly eat because, and I quote, “Birds are a-holes.” This means that grilling is my chance to succumb to my primal urges and place a slab of marbled steak next to Shell's "a-hole" chicken and cook it just enough that it develops char marks on the outside and when cut turns mashed potatoes into a red mush of glory.

Grilling for me really is the one activity that I find my entire family can fully appreciate together. The nightly debate on what to eat for dinner is skipped completely since I can prepare steak and chicken together without any extra effort at all. The Misses gets a much deserved break from domestic monotony while I get to collect brownie points for selfishly choosing to grill. My son gets to run around the backyard chasing my dog Bella who barks every time he gets within striking distance of her. On second thought, Bella might not enjoy this as much as I had originally imagined but at least she gets to eat all the gristle she can handle. Take all this, combined with the fact that nothing tastes as good as food cooked on the grill, and my love of grilling is really quite simple. Which is nice, because honestly, nothing else in my house ever is.

Does grilling give you a moment of simplicity in a world of chaos? Or is it something else that prompts you to light up the grill? Besides all of the tasty food, tell me what you love about grilling. One of my lucky readers who answers below will win a $25 Sears Gift Card!

This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Sears. The opinions and text are all mine. Official Sweepstakes Rules.

Share Conversation

Embed
+ Login to choose updates by email

Replies

Viewing 31 - 40 of 76
""

Reply by Mary

5/7/2012 7:40:30 AM
I love the fact that my husband does the food preparation when we grill...gives me a break.

""

Reply by Jennifer

5/7/2012 9:06:23 AM
I love the fact that clean up is easy and using the grill keeps the house from getting too warm on those hot days.

""

Reply by Kelly D

author of Save a Little, Buy Alot! 5/7/2012 2:00:40 PM
I like sitting outside and enjoying the nice weather.

""

Reply by Barbara

author of JalapenoMama's Place 5/7/2012 3:34:28 PM
I love the taste of grilled food - especially veggies & brats!

""

Reply by Crystal

5/7/2012 4:00:12 PM
I like that we can be outside while the food is cooking. Thank you!!

""

Reply by Janna

5/7/2012 11:34:11 PM
I love grilled pineapples and salmon! Thanks so much! Janna Johnson Jannajanna@hotmail.com janna@feedyourpig on gfc

""

Reply by Candice

author of Mom Most Traveled 5/8/2012 6:59:12 AM
Awesome! I love the smell and outdoorsy feel of grilling. Its so much more social than cooking in a kitchen. :)

""

Reply by Nadine Larsen

5/8/2012 3:25:00 PM
Besides the taste of grilled food (nothing like a piece of grilled meat and grilled veggies)and the yummy aromas, I love that I am outside with the family, instead of inside the house.

""

Reply by Tamar

author of Google 5/8/2012 3:26:16 PM
The prep fun and usually the company that goes with it :)

""

Reply by Mary C

5/8/2012 8:46:55 PM
I love that there's minimal clean-up.

Reply to Conversation

-OR-

Join & Reply Switch to the simple version
Please review the rules of this community before posting:

1. Be nice to each other. This is a drama free zone. 2. Please no Rick Rolls- my Hubby gets that stuck in my head enough as it is. 3. That's it. :)

< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS