Community Header
< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS

How much do you spend on groceries per month?

Started by Amy @ Homestead Revival , author of Homestead Revival 9/6/2010 6:13:10 PM

I'm just curious how much others budget for their monthly groceries per person. Including paper goods, toiletries, etc. or without - just comment on if you are including these are not. I'm trying to determine what is the norm and if our family is even close!

Share Conversation

Embed
+ Login to choose updates by email

Replies

Viewing 1 - 10 of 30
We are not 100% organic yet, but just about there. And we only drink raw milk. We are averaging $66 per person a month. I am working on dropping that more when we get to garden. Here in SW Florida our summer is the Norths winter, we grow nothing as it is too hot. So we are starting our season when yours is over. :)
I suspect since a large portion of our grocery bill is produce we will be able to drop our bill more once we grow our own. :)

Shoot, I didn't follow the instructions! LOL Family of 6 and yes that includes all of our toiletries & household products. Though to be fair , we do not use many paper products at all and I make my own cleaners. On the flip side....we consume nearly 6 gallons of raw milk a week (drinking & making raw yogurt & such).

""

Reply by Heather

author of Mountain Home Quilts 9/7/2010 12:46:04 PM

Hmm, I have no clue if you include toiletries!! I lump all that stuff under "household" when I add it into our finacial software. But as far as actual FOOD goes, we are a family of 6. 2 adults, 1 12 year old and a 3,2 and 10 month old and we spend about 900/month on food. We do eat eclusively organic/raw/grass fed though.

We don't have a per person kind of budget because obviously hubby eats way more than our 10 month old does!

I don't think that our toiletries would add a whole lot of expense though because we're really only talking about toothpaste, toilet paper, and a few other items. I don't wear make up at all.

""

Reply by Sara

author of Rural Farm Rhythms 9/7/2010 7:09:56 PM

I spend about 75 dollars a week for a family of 5 which is 300 a month.  The only paper product I buy is Toilet Paper  and that is included.  I make all our cleaning products, cosmetics, deodorants.  Dairy products and deli meat are my big expenses each week.  We grow our own meat and eggs, and I have several large gardens.  I make bread too.  I am trying to reduce our bill to 50 dollars a week but it probably won't happen until I can start milking something!

""

Reply by Vickie

9/7/2010 8:28:58 PM

We currently spend $70.00 a week for a family of 3.  I'm working on getting that lower each week with couponing.  This includes everything -shaving cream, soap, etc. even dog food but not chicken feed. 

I know how to make bread but we can get great bread for $1.00 a loaf.   We have a large garden so most of produce comes out of that-organic of course.  Very cheap and I know where my food is coming from.

""

Reply by Jennifer

author of Everyday Graces… 9/7/2010 8:36:46 PM

Well, we had consistently been at around $700/mth for our family of 6, but we've gone to grass fed ground beef, a 1/2 gallon raw milk per week, all local eggs from friends or local farms and mostly all organic produce as well as some vitamin supplements and well, um, it's not $700 anymore.  We also live in California which I've found just raises the price on everything compared to my out of state friends.  So I am re-looking at everything to see how I can decrease costs.  I found the Grocery Shrink book helpful to get me motivated to see what I can be cutting so I can afford the better quality food. 

""

Reply by Trinity

author of The Hansen's stuff 9/7/2010 8:40:58 PM

we spend about $400 a month for everything and we are a family of 4.  i save a lot of money by making my own bread, rolls, and crusts.  it also doesn't cost much more to make 2 meals instead of one, especially if you usually have  alot of leftovers. so what i do is i split the meal in half, serve one half, and freeze the other half for later.  that way i'm not throwing out leftovers and wasting food.  i also make our laundry soap. also, if someplace is having a good sale on something i buy a couple extra and freeze it or dehydrate the vegetables. if you are interested in any recipes, i have some on a link on my blog to my recipe website, i have a few freezer meals i've done on there.

""

Reply by Amy @ Homestead Revival

author of Homestead Revival 9/7/2010 10:04:19 PM

Trinity, thanks for the blog info. I'll have to check it out.

Jennifer, I think you're right that the grocery prices are higher in CA. Whenever I travel to TX, the prices are much lower - sometimes by nearly 1/3. I've been really frustrated that we grow most of the nation's food and yet we pay more for it! How does that work? 

""

Reply by CarmenV

author of Pebble Crossing 9/7/2010 10:19:29 PM

We are a family of 4, currently under 500 would be good if less.  I've got two teens.  I've been buying my main groceries once a month and produce once a week or sometimes more, two packs of bananas are gone in 3 days.  we tend to eat less when we purchase once a month bulk.  this includes toiletries, dog food etc. we were in the midst of selling our house and so our garden didn't get done this year.  looking at making daughter's sanitary napkins, have the fabric, just need to get it done.  she just started, i'm on my way out.  also am looking into flannel toilet wipeys for whomever wants to use them in the house.  I know I would.  kids are researchiing raw dog food diet, hopefully it will be less. 

""

Reply by Kelly

author of Some-things Cookin' 9/8/2010 3:50:23 PM

Wow!  You gals are amazing!  We are only 3 people and we average about $400/month on groceries, and we eat out a lot (that's not in that figure).  I don't feel like I'm extravagant when it comes to buying food either.  We're trying to buy more from the farmer's market, which is WAY more expensive here than the grocery store, but we feel better about that choice all the way around.  I looked at the detailed report in Quicken and about $120 has been spent this year on cheesemaking cultures and molds, plus about $500 for half a hog and some grass fed beef.  We have our own dairy goats, so we don't buy milk, yogurt, or buttermilk.  Feed costs are not included in that monthly average, but anything bought at the grocery store is-paper towels and toilet paper mostly.  Maybe I ought to try harder to save money on our food?

Reply to Conversation

-OR-

Join & Reply Switch to the simple version
Please review the rules of this community before posting:

Please abide by the same gracious standards scripture would require. Thank you!

< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS