Community Header
< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS

Simplifying and Slowing Down . . . Does Anybody Do Either?

Started by Safe At Home , author of SafeAtHome 6/3/2012 2:00:51 PM

We're now empty-nesters but I look back and wish we would have down-sized and simplified our lives even earlier. We did limit how many activities our kids could be in and even so those things tended to run our lives much of the time.

So I'm wondering what others are doing, if anything, to simply their lives and their homes so that the tyranny of the urgent and keeping-up-with-the-neighbors does not win the day.

Is slowing down even possible?

Share Conversation

Embed
+ Login to choose updates by email

Replies

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5
""

Reply by Carol Lawrence

author of Intentional Conscious Parenting 6/3/2012 11:29:52 PM

Great question.

Time flies. Before you know it your kids are grown. I hope parents are taking time to be fully present in their parenting, enjoy those moments. Slow down and take in the feelings, the smells, the visuals. Your creating memories. Your building foundations. Your creating long lasting relationships. My boys are 21 and 24. I feel we had a good balance. We are all very close. I enjoyed the process when they were little and i'm enjoying the process now. Isn't that what life's all about? Enjoying the journey?

The memories that stick out for us are not their sporting events or the busy times. They are sitting around the campfire, hiking through the forest, watching movies, playing board games, etc. 

Safe At Home's profile picture
Safe At Home said ...
So I'm wondering what others are doing, if anything, to simply their lives and their homes so that the tyranny of the urgent and keeping-up-with-the-neighbors does not win the day.

""

Reply by Catherine

author of BohemianBeachJunque 6/4/2012 8:05:03 AM

I write a blog about just that topic.  It is nice to find someone on blogfrog who is not just into couponing.  My husband and I did a major possession dump in the spring.  We put our way to big house on the market and are patiently waiting for it to sell.

Our plan is to move full time into a 400 square foot space when the house sells.  For now, we shut the house down for part of the week and stay at the beach 45 minutes from here.

This has been an amazing experience so far.  I still work full time by choice, I have a job I love.  He is semi retired and is a municipal jundge about 11 days a month.

Having less to look at, clean, fret over, etc is an experience everyone should have. I LOVE it!

www.bohemianbeachjunque.blogspot.com

""

Reply by Carol Lawrence

author of Intentional Conscious Parenting 7/5/2012 10:22:47 PM

Wow, moving into 400 square feet would be a big change. My home's only 1100 and that's just about right except for a few things I'd like to add. What made you choose such a small amount of square footage? I think more and more people are choosing a simpler life style. 

Catherine's profile picture
Catherine said ...
Our plan is to move full time into a 400 square foot space when the house sells.  For now, we shut the house down for part of the week and stay at the beach 45 minutes from here.

""

Reply by Safe At Home

author of SafeAtHome 7/6/2012 7:52:08 PM

Catherine,

From my experience you and your husband are the exception to the rule, but good for you for your willingness to try living "smaller."

By the way, this is something to suggest to our church leaders as so many congregations always want the bigger building, better facilities and more impressive amenities. What if we made our goal to give more away rather than get more for us?  Our church in Austin is doing just that and God is honoring that commitment.

This is soooo true Carol.  I have 5 kids, ages 22-9, so there's a broad range and everyone is always wanting to get involved in something!  We usually go camping a lot (my favorite time to go is fall :-) which slows us down.  We also homeschool so we are together a lot - and when the activities are at their height (soccer, swimming, etc...) I keep telling myself "this will pass" and soon we're back on our quieter schedule.

As far as possessions go - we do have a lot of "stuff" <G>  Actually I just wrote a blog post on how "decluttering" is overrated - I've worked hard to collect all this stuff LOL  So many of our things are furniture we've made, antiques we've inherited, gifts, precious children's things.  Nearly every object has some tale behind it and I do have a hard time parting with "stuff".  (sigh....)

We do have a large house which we built a few years back.  I plan to stay here till they drag me out! 

Carol Lawrence's profile picture
Carol Lawrence said ...
The memories that stick out for us are not their sporting events or the busy times. They are sitting around the campfire, hiking through the forest, watching movies, playing board games, etc. 

Reply to Conversation

-OR-

Join & Reply Switch to the simple version
Please review the rules of this community before posting:

Please be curtious and respectful to everyones opinions, beliefs and ideas.

< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS