Community Header
< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS

Hi, I'm new to sewing...

Started by Michelle , author of Faith.Love & Insanity 11/29/2010 7:32:31 PM

Hi everyone, My name is Michelle. I just got my first sewing machine on Friday and I have been obsessed with it. I have never sewed before but I am looking for any kind of tips, ideas , patterns, tutorials anything that could help me out. Thanks :)

Share Conversation

Embed
+ Login to choose updates by email

Replies

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5
""

Reply by rezlana

author of Rezzi's World 12/4/2010 7:31:30 AM

Hi, Michelle I am new to sewing too. I have simply got no help from anybody but my husband who is loving and very helpful, but gradually i have looked at things and imagined them in my head and then created them . Honestly I have got a lot to learn.. you could also follow up some of the links in my profile and try the communities in blogfrog. I wish you luck in sewing:)

""

Reply by TheCottageMama

author of The Cottage Home 12/21/2010 8:52:38 AM

Hi Michelle,

I'm not the best at updating here on Blogfrog, but I think the very best think you can do is start reading sewing books and sewing blogs.

I pretty much taught myself to sew and have learned SO much through different books.  Some of my favorites are Bend the Rules with Sewing and Seams to Me - both of those have great intro's with lots of tips.  Portabellopixie has some really great patterns and her website offers a lot of great information.

I hope this helps and I'm sure you are going to LOVE sewing!!!!

Lindsay

The Cottage Mama

""

Reply by Brenda

author of It's all Relative 12/29/2010 3:39:29 PM

Congratulations on getting your first machine Michelle! It won't be long before you are sewing up a storm and you'll become a fabric addict.....like me! I'm totally obsessed with sewing, fabric and making beautiful things!

""

Reply by Meltastic

author of East Coast Girl 5/9/2011 12:55:00 PM

I was just recently given a sewing machine and have no idea where to begin!!..I have always wanted to make a quilt! also want to make pretty pillows and curtains...lol..I wanna make everything I can! Good luck to you.

""

Reply by Daisie

author of My Journey Through It All 5/9/2011 1:00:11 PM
If choosing a book is too overwhelming, I recommend trying a magazine. There is a lot of information and a couple of projects in each issue. There is also a long list of resources in each. My favorite is Stitch magazine.
There is also a forum called patternreview.com that is full of info. You can also talk to the wonderful staff od your local fabric shop. Most of them are sewing nuts and can help answer questions, choose patterns, and even help choose the best fabric for your project.

Good luck and have fun!!

Reply to Conversation

-OR-

Join & Reply Switch to the simple version
Please review the rules of this community before posting:

This forum is a place for people to discuss the sewing, cooking, and crafting ideas that they have read about on The Cottage Home.

< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS