Community Header
< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS

Nutrition and (Brain) Cancer

Started by Dave , author of Goliath and I 6/8/2012 11:46:14 AM

Hi Guys,

I'm the brand new founder of a Cancer survivor community on blogfrog, and I'm trying to establish some nutritional connections here. Do you have any advice for anyone that's newly battling cancer of any kind? I'd love to share it with my new community. Thanks!

Share Conversation

Embed
+ Login to choose updates by email

Replies

Viewing 1 - 2 of 2
""

Reply by Dave

author of Goliath and I 6/8/2012 11:50:51 AM

Also I want to ask you guys if you know anything about the ketogenic diet and how it can affect cancer cells. Thanks!

""

Reply by Stacy & Nicole: pH Life

author of Building Balance Blog 6/10/2012 2:09:11 PM

Hi Dave!

We'll start with your second question first. A ketogenic diet is one where carbohydrates are minimized in favor of fats as the fuel in the plan. In the absence of carbs, the body starts converting fatty acids into ketones which are utilized for fuel. Interestingly, the brain is very picky about its energy source...preferring carbs. Ketones can, however, pass through that picky brain barrier to fuel it. It's a poor conversion, especially at first! That's why you will see folks that chose a low-carb dieting approach with that far-away, glazed look in their eyes. Their brains are starved for carbohydrates. As the body adapts, the brain utilizes ketones more efficiently. The ketogenic diet has been very successful in treating those with autism, particularly children. There is a form of the ketogenic diet called the MCT Ketogenic A variant of the classic ketogenic diet, this version uses a form of coconut oil which is rich in MCTs, to provide around half the calories. As less overall fat is needed in this variant of the diet, a greater proportion of carbohydrate and protein can be consumed, allowing a greater variety of food choices. Clinical trials and studies in animal models suggest that ketogenic diets provide neuroprotective and disease-modifying benefits for a number of adult neurodegenerative disorders, however a connection to cancer hasn't been made as far as we can determine.

Now as for nutrition's connection to cancer and other disease states, we could write a book on that! (Actually, we are) It's a crime that, typically, the current medical treatment climate of cancer doesn't provide more support and info, nutritionally speaking, for those new to the cancer battle!

There is connection that has been established through science, and testimonials from thousands who have been cured of cancer through natural nutritional means. This is the basis for the message that we are spreading...That our bodies are quite capable of restoring and maintaining perfect health, if we provide them the right tools to do so nutritionally. The way we promote this message is in sharing the concept of balancing our body's pH levels.

If I were to contract cancer of any type, and was living life as a "average" American (eating the bulk of my foods from processed, acidic sources and drinking soft drinks to excess) I would have to completely revamp my nutritional life. For example, a personal client of ours recently began chemo treatment for Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. This gentleman wasn't given any nutritional guidance, other than to say "minimize soft drinks and coffee, as it can counteract the chemo treatment." Ummm...WOW. This is a person who eats junk food to excess, drinks the equivalent of 4-5 sodas per day, NO water consumption, starchy vegetables only, no fruits, and never has thought about targeted nutritional supplementation. This had to change if he were to successfully beat his disease, which I'm happy to report...he has done.

We have researched, and have seen the positive changes in ourselves and others that change their diets towards consuming less meat, revving up vegetable and fruit intake (especially through juicing!) taking in a moderate amount of whole grains, avoiding junk foods and all soft drinks, and consuming 8-10 glasses per day of mineralized water. These simple tactics will give the body the tools it needs to fight off the acidity that cancer loves, and thrives in. We suggest adding in full-spectrum minerals supplementation, like