Community Header
< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS

Eating from your own garden

Started by Lucy , author of lucille in the sky 8/25/2011 2:35:34 PM

My parents live across the lake in the suburbs, and while I have a small city yard, my mom has a big beautiful garden. She's regularly giving me zucchini, tomatoes, pumpkins, apples, swiss chard, blackberries, herbs and more. I get so much satisfaction from eating homegrown produce. I even made our latest garden walk into a blog entry: http://herbalphilosophy.com/2011/08/a-garden-tour-passionflower-and-borage.html

Does anyone else eat from their garden? Do you share garden pictures or stories on your blog? I'd love to 

Share Conversation

Embed
+ Login to choose updates by email

Replies

Viewing 1 - 10 of 28
""

Reply by Lucy

author of lucille in the sky 8/25/2011 2:36:04 PM

Oops. I mean to say; I'd love to see your garden too!

""

Reply by Arlene

author of Flour On My Face 8/25/2011 4:17:09 PM

I wish I had a nice big garden but I am limited to container gardening and not many at that. Plus I live in Florida and the weather, between the high temps, humidity and summer rains really did in most of my container vegetables. My herbs have been going great though. Sorry I don't have any pictures.

Your passion vine is gorgeous. I have had the purple and red in the past. They really bring the butterflies into your yard.

I love your borage and wonder how that would do here.

Lucy's profile picture
Lucy said ...
My parents live across the lake in the suburbs, and while I have a small city yard, my mom has a big beautiful garden. She's regularly giving me zucchini, tomatoes, pumpkins, apples, swiss chard, blackberries, herbs and more. I get so much satisfaction from eating homegrown produce. I even made our latest garden walk into a blog entry: http://herbalphilosophy.com/2011/08/a-garden-tour-passionflower-and-borage.html

""

Reply by The Healthy Moms Magazine

author of The Healthy Moms Magazine 8/30/2011 12:12:36 PM

I miss my garden. I used to grow all kinds of vegetables. But now that we have moved and are renting I can not have a garden.

""

Reply by Brenna

author of Almost All The Truth 8/30/2011 12:24:28 PM

We have a small garden. One day I hope to have more, but for now it is just what we need. I do write a bit about it on my blog. This post was well-received:

http://www.almostallthetruth.com/2011/05/why-we-make-this-organic-garden-grow/

""

Reply by Mama Alvina

author of Ahava & Amara Life Foundation 8/30/2011 8:14:35 PM

This is my 1st time gardening and I love it! 

We started it pretty late though, we haven't picked anything yet but will be very soon. 

I'm so excited! I do have some pics I took but I haven't blogged about it yet, plan to soon.

""

Reply by Lucy

author of lucille in the sky 8/31/2011 4:32:00 PM

Mama Alvina - your garden looks healthy and thriving, especially amazing for a first-timer

Brenna - I'm going over to your blog now!

""

Reply by Wendy

author of Fit-and-Frugal 9/7/2011 4:06:06 PM

We started raised beds a couple of years ago, and it makes such a difference! Food tastes so amazing when it's from your back yard. This year we put in a simple drip irrigation system that has really helped, too. We've been really busy lately, though, and neglected the garden terribly, so it looks like everything's ready to be pulled. Harvest came early, I guess. 

My blog mostly focuses on healthy recipes using seasonal foods, from our garden when that's possible: http://www.fit-and-frugal.com

""

Reply by Lucy

author of lucille in the sky 9/7/2011 11:47:49 PM

Wendy, I'm thinking about adding a raised bed with my mother's help. She has a much greener thumb than I :) Can't wait to check out your blog.

""

Reply by Debra

author of God's Hand 3/26/2012 1:39:24 PM

awe i miss my little childhood garden :(

my mother has a green thumb, well atleast when i was 7. she let me grow strawberries (my fave!) and lemons (also a fave). 

she also had her side of the backyard where she grew chilis, tomatoes, cucumber and among other classics in our home. i really want to do that again and pray we can when our situation has changed.

i dont have pics, just the memories :)

""

Reply by EWC

author of Sweet Spirit Within Me 3/26/2012 8:08:50 PM

Lucy, my name is Libby and you asked the question about gardening?? Well, I'm not not much of a gardener persay, my husband likes to pot flowers and herbs.

As a child, my father had a garden on the side of our house where he'd plant all sorts of wonderful vegetables. My favorites were the tomatoes. Bunches and bunches of them... oh what sweet memories I have of my father's garden. :)

In the last 7 months or so I have transitioned over to being more and more of a vegan, I'm learning how to prepare and serve raw meals and eating more and more  of "less cooked" and more and more raw foods. I'm having a ton of fun learning about and researching the awesome health benefits of eating raw and how processed foods, refined sugars and dairy is not good for anyone.

I have found a website that is a Hydroponic Living Tower garden that is a really cool idea for the inexperienced gardener to the master gardener.  The website is as follows: www.towergarden.com. You can also find videos on YouTube to learn more about the Hydroponic garden systems. Really too cool.

My blog is www.SweetSpiritWithinMe.blogspot.com.

Thanks!! EWC

Reply to Conversation

-OR-

Join & Reply Switch to the simple version

< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS