Community Header
< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS

GLBT Parenting

Started by Jen , author of The Duck Flies 2/11/2010 8:44:03 PM
We live in the Boston area.  99.9% of the time, our family doesn't get a second glance.  Two women, both called "Mommy", walking down the street with a beautiful red headed little 3 year old.  We are fortunate.  GLBT.. if you don't know.. stands for "gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered". 

Our son is 3.. but the subject has already come up.  He's in preschool.  He'll talk about how so and so has a mommy and a daddy and so and so has a mommy but not a daddy and he has two mommies.  The other kids get excited to see us come to pick him up and say "there's Benji's Mommy and there's his other Mommy". 

I'd be lying if I didn't say that I was torn.  I'm completely comfortable with our family unit and I believe that we provide a safe and productive home for our child.  I just don't trust the rest of the world.  It's been rough growing up gay, and having to "come out" over and over again over the years.  Our son stands to a similar future... when talking about his family.. he has two moms.  We live in an age and in a location that it doesn't seem to create wave here.

Living in Massachusetts, we're married, we both work in high profile professional jobs, we pay taxes, we done to charities.. we're good people.  I just hope that something as trivial (as I see it) as his parents sexuality doesn't bother him as he gets older. 

Share Conversation

Embed
+ Login to choose updates by email

Replies

Viewing 1 - 1 of 1

Jen, thanks for being here and talking about your journey.  I'm joining your community and looking forward to supporting you on your journey!

Tamara G. Suttle, M.Ed., LPC

http://www.AllthingsPrivatePractice.com

http://www.TamaraSuttle.com

Reply to Conversation

-OR-

Join & Reply Switch to the simple version
Please review the rules of this community before posting:

This is a welcoming community -- but also a family community. Please be polite and if you have negative things to say.. please either keep them to yourself or send me a private email. I'm interested in your opinions -- but my mom reads this blog and she is fiercely protective.

< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS