Community Header
< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS

What tips do you have for homeschooling in difficulties?

Started by April , author of ElCloud Homeschool: Busy Minds, Busy Hands, Busy Feet 1/21/2010 3:52:05 PM
When illness, pregnancy, health problems, moves, stressful situations, and deaths in the family occur ... what tips or suggestions do you have to offer other homeschooling parents?

I've homeschooled through pregnancies, moves, and long drawn out family deaths ... but never in serious illness or ongoing health concerns.  A discussion amongst TOS Crew members made me wonder what tips other homeschool veterans might have for the difficult times.

Share Conversation

Embed
+ Login to choose updates by email

Replies

Viewing 1 - 2 of 2
""

Reply by Lori

4/6/2010 6:14:26 PM

Keep It Simple and Steady! 

In the last four years we have moved twice, lost my mother-in-law and one brother-in-law, had two children diagnosed with diabetes and my husband diagnosed with congestive heart failure/acute renal failure/high blood pressure/a-fib.

At first, we dropped everything, but I find that my children respond better if we have some normal activity.  So, I go through, adjust our lesson plans (if it is not a hill to die on, it's cut) and we do what we can.  Some days we get it all...some days we just get half, but we do have school.  I also cut out field trips, they stress me out!  I have to be on someone else's schedule, pack lunches and more...I would just rather be at home ;o) 

Hope that helps!

""

Reply by Becky

author of there is hope 4/20/2010 3:50:19 PM

I have Homeschooled for ten years through several chronic illness and many moves. We even graduated our oldest! Was it easy? NO! Did I make mistakes? Yes! I found that the key was balance and flexibility. The first priority: Be sure we gave each day to our Father in heaven and allowed Him to guide our steps. Second: Keep communication open and honest. Third: In list everyone's help!

'Slow and steady wins the race' applies to this situation!

We are so thankful we kept towards our goal and went on the journey together! Our children are stronger and more well rounded because they have dealt daily with the uncertainty of life, and finding the constants within.

Reply to Conversation

-OR-

Join & Reply Switch to the simple version
Please review the rules of this community before posting:

This is a Christian community. Please keep all comments and discussions family friendly and pleasing to the Lord. Be kind and slow to anger.

< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS