Community Header
< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS

Yummy Movie Night - Creating Tradition

Started by Shera , author of A Frog In My Soup - Life as a Mom with 6 Sons 7/26/2011 11:00:10 PM

Movie nights are much anticipated events around here, especially new releases they haven't seen before. Since movie night is often on a weekend, the pre-movie meal will commonly be pizza and chocolate milk (something that was basically a tradition for me growing up), so keeping snacks fun but also healthy is always at the forefront of my mind.

I want my boys to love healthy food and see it as a treat not an alternative. It's might take a little creative thinking outside the box on your part, but fun creations like frozen dipped banana pops (my recipe below) or even homemade popcorn balls actually tend to be more appealing than junk food.

To celebrate summer fun, Redbox is asking moms, "What's your family’s go-to movie night snack?" Plus, they are rewarding 2 lucky people with a chance to win $10,000 as part of the Redbox Summer of Fun & Games Sweepstakes.

We'd love to know what your movie night snacks are (just leave us a comment below, yes we read them all), especially any fun and healthy ideas. Our go-to movie night snack is definitely popcorn, a simple healthy snack that kids love (and frankly they don't know it's healthy).

Creative Movie Night Snack Ideas

When we're looking for something a little out of the ordinary, we might do Caramel Apple Dippers (homemade or store bought caramel with sliced apples for dipping, but also yummy with dipped marshmallows believe it or not).

Or how about a really fun Dessert Fondue night? You don't really even need fondue pots (though they are convenient for keeping the dip at the right temperature.. and let's face it they're kinda fun).

You can simply have a couple pots of dips (chocolate and caramel are always hits) served with skewers filled with slices of things like bananas, strawberries, marshmallows and pound cake. Feel free to get creative, even dipped pineapple slices are yummy, be sure to serve up a variety of fruits or even pretzels for dipping in addition to any sugary foods.

Frozen Banana Pops

Although you could use this idea with a variety of fruits, my preference is Bananas, they are a fun treat that come in a convenient shape. Here's how we do it:

Ingredients

Bananas (peel and cut in half)
Chocolate Chips (melted and stirred in double boiler)
Chopped peanuts (totally optional)
Skewers (kabob skewers cut in half work great)

Directions

• Gently insert a skewer in the cut end of one half banana
  • Dip banana into the melted chocolate coating at least 3/4 of the banana with a light layer of chocolate.
  • Roll in chopped peanuts if desired.
  • Place each banana onto a wax paper lined cookie sheet.
  • Once you have repeated the process with the desired number of banana halves and have them laid out on the cookie sheet simply set the cookie sheet in the freezer for about 30 mins to chill.

There are so many great movie snack ideas that are tons of fun and amazing for creating memories! This is a fantastic way to start a new tradition with your family.

Redbox is celebrating summer family time with a great line up of family-friendly titles, awesome savings and two chances to win $10,000 as part of the Redbox Summer of Fun & Games Sweepstakes.*

4 Easy Ways to Enter:

1.  Enter your email address at www.redbox.com/summer

2.  Rent a movie or game at a redbox kiosk (and provide a valid email address at checkout)

3.  Reserve a rental online at redbox.com

4.  Text 'SUMMER' to 727272

Enter to win today!

This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Redbox. The opinions and text are all mine. 

*Each item rented earns one entry, regardless of how long it is rented, up to three entries per day. Limit 3 entries per day, regardless of entry method. The sweepstakes begins May 27, 2011 at 12:00 a.m. CT and ends on August 1, 2011 at 11:59 p.m. CT. No purchase necessary. See official rules at www.redbox.com/summer.

Share Conversation

Embed
+ Login to choose updates by email

No replies yet. Be the first!

Reply to Conversation

-OR-

Post & Join Switch to the simple version
Please review the rules of this community before posting:

AFIMS should be a safe, secure, encouraging place for moms to visit. I also welcome your comments at A Frog In My Soup anytime and I respond to them directly as well. I ask that you not use profanity and that you keep things fairly positive. Feel free to share your struggles as a mom and your prayer requests, but we aren't here to bash our family or other moms. Posts that are not within these guidelines will be removed. Thank you so much for being part and I look forward to interacting with you!

< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS