Community Header
< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS

How did you decide on your baby's name?

Started by theresa , author of Rock On Mommies 7/5/2012 5:00:10 AM

What’s in a name?

When I was pregnant with Ellie my husband and I spent months trying to come up with that one perfect name. There are so many things you have to take into consideration.  We didn’t want to pick a name that would be easy to make fun of in Elementary School.   We wanted to make sure the name was appropriate for a kid, but yet wouldn’t sound silly as an adult.  For us, more important than anything, her name had to have meaning.  It had to have a story. 

Ellie Lanning, Seid was born on December 7th, 2006.  She entered the world with only one thing certain.  Her middle name was going to be Lanning.   We had 3 possible first names, but there was never a question as to what her middle name would be. Lanning was my Norwegian Great Grandmother’s maiden name. 

In our family if you’re named after anyone it tends to be a name from my Grandfather’s side of the family.  Though I loved my Grandfather, it was always my Grandmother that represented that feeling of family for me.  She was the one with all the strength, patience, hugs, kisses, and love.   So for me there was nothing more important to me than to pass on that strength and love to my daughter.   

Five and a half years later Ellie Lanning will proudly tell anyone her full name.  She knows where her middle name comes from and will beam while telling you she’s tough like a Viking and she has the middle name to prove it. 

Just a week ago Zachary Andrew Levi Seid was born a week ago today.  How did we come up with that mouth full of a name? That’s a whole other story that I’ll save for another time.

It’s now time to introduce everyone to Zach. Today I spent the last 2 hours flipping through the entire photo library we’ve taken in the last week to pick out that one perfect picture.  Once I found that perfect picture, it’s only taken me 5 minutes to design and order our Birth Announcements from cardstore.com. LOVE!

So now it’s your turn.  Tell me how did you decide on your baby's name? 

Comment below and you’ll be entered to win a year's worth of Cardstore.comcards, retail value of $500!  Not only will you be entered to win a year’s worth of cards, but everyone that replies will get a coupon code where they will get 10 free cards for every 10 birth announcements they buy!

I can’t wait to hear everyone’s responses!

In celebration of the 8 women who are pregnant, Cardstore.com has expanded their offering of birth announcements!

This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Cardstore. The opinions and text are all mine. Official Sweepstakes Rules.

Share Conversation

Embed
+ Login to choose updates by email

Replies

Viewing 11 - 14 of 14
""

Reply by Jennifer

7/9/2012 11:23:10 PM
We have 2 girls (1 year and 8 days apart-- not on purpose) and most days are elating. Addison Kinsley Allo is our sweet 3 year-old. My hubby and I came up with her name by each creating a list of names from: books, TV, friends & family etc. Addison was the ONLY name on both his list and mine. We thought Kinsley was cool especially since her initials would be AKA. Delaney Eden Allo is our sassy 2 year-old. After a panic attack and a good cry (or 2) we started browsing more books and racking our already new mommy & daddy brains for a new name. We decided to start with "fun" initials since we had an AKA. BRA- no, MIA- my father-in-law said absolutely not!, CIA- maybe & DEA- funny considering my dad was head of the County's Drug bust & HAZMAT team. As mentioned, we chose DEA. Can't picture her as anything else. :-) Thanks for encouraging me to record this... I've been meaning to post it to my own blog for months now. www.DancingInCarseats.wordpress.com & I'm going straight to CardStore.com for some shopping now! Cheers! Jen Allo @CarseatDancers on Twitter Cheers

""

Reply by Desiree

author of Comments for 7/10/2012 12:16:39 AM
I'm going in alphabetical order. My daughter's name starts with an "A", my son's a "B", my husband starts with "C" mine starts with "D" and my 7 week old starts with an "E". I keep joking to my husband that we're going to have an "F". He says no way! lol

""

Reply by Ma

7/10/2012 2:53:34 AM
by family names... combo names- no apples- pears..but by family

""

Reply by Melissa

7/31/2012 12:57:04 AM
we went with names that we liked. with our daughter it was harder, with my son I knew his middle name would james after his daddy. i don't know how we even came upon either but we liked them and could see their futures. i just hope they like their names as much as we do. plus, how else would i have come up with my pb+j for my blog if I didn't have a payton rylee, a brayden james or jim as a hubby? ;)

Reply to Conversation

-OR-

Join & Reply Switch to the simple version

< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS