Community Header
< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS

How did you decide on your baby's name?

Started by theresa , author of Rock On Mommies 7/5/2012 5:00:10 AM

What’s in a name?

When I was pregnant with Ellie my husband and I spent months trying to come up with that one perfect name. There are so many things you have to take into consideration.  We didn’t want to pick a name that would be easy to make fun of in Elementary School.   We wanted to make sure the name was appropriate for a kid, but yet wouldn’t sound silly as an adult.  For us, more important than anything, her name had to have meaning.  It had to have a story. 

Ellie Lanning, Seid was born on December 7th, 2006.  She entered the world with only one thing certain.  Her middle name was going to be Lanning.   We had 3 possible first names, but there was never a question as to what her middle name would be. Lanning was my Norwegian Great Grandmother’s maiden name. 

In our family if you’re named after anyone it tends to be a name from my Grandfather’s side of the family.  Though I loved my Grandfather, it was always my Grandmother that represented that feeling of family for me.  She was the one with all the strength, patience, hugs, kisses, and love.   So for me there was nothing more important to me than to pass on that strength and love to my daughter.   

Five and a half years later Ellie Lanning will proudly tell anyone her full name.  She knows where her middle name comes from and will beam while telling you she’s tough like a Viking and she has the middle name to prove it. 

Just a week ago Zachary Andrew Levi Seid was born a week ago today.  How did we come up with that mouth full of a name? That’s a whole other story that I’ll save for another time.

It’s now time to introduce everyone to Zach. Today I spent the last 2 hours flipping through the entire photo library we’ve taken in the last week to pick out that one perfect picture.  Once I found that perfect picture, it’s only taken me 5 minutes to design and order our Birth Announcements from cardstore.com. LOVE!

So now it’s your turn.  Tell me how did you decide on your baby's name? 

Comment below and you’ll be entered to win a year's worth of Cardstore.comcards, retail value of $500!  Not only will you be entered to win a year’s worth of cards, but everyone that replies will get a coupon code where they will get 10 free cards for every 10 birth announcements they buy!

I can’t wait to hear everyone’s responses!

In celebration of the 8 women who are pregnant, Cardstore.com has expanded their offering of birth announcements!

This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Cardstore. The opinions and text are all mine. Official Sweepstakes Rules.

Share Conversation

Embed
+ Login to choose updates by email

Replies

Viewing 1 - 10 of 14
""

Reply by Monique

7/5/2012 3:09:22 PM
My son's middle name was after my father. My daughter got her name because it just sounded cute. :)

""

Reply by Lucky

author of A Beautiful Mess 7/5/2012 3:21:27 PM
Lovely story! The little Viking girl. :) My eldest was named after my Grandpa's best friend (would have named him after my Grandpa but Marion would have given him a lot of problems) and his middle name is my Fathers middle name. My youngest is named after my favorite author (Samuel Clemens) and his middle name is my Great Grandfathers middle name.

""

Reply by Monica

author of Scottsdale Mama 7/5/2012 3:28:59 PM
Our first son's name was easy - it was the name I had picked out in high school. I waited until around month 5 before I told my husband which was after he had mentioned every other name in the world. I knew all along it was the name I wanted but waited until the right time to share it with him. By that point he was excited we both liked a name! As for our second son, that one was much much harder. You typically have your favorite girl name and a favorite boy name but not two boys names. So, we pondered and pondered, and talked and asked for suggestions etc. We finally decided on a name that had something to do with both of our families and their history. Once I thought it I knew it was the one for us. I think it takes a little bit of luck, a little bit of timing and a whole lot of thought (like making sure the nicknames are not bad) to reach the right name!

I'm still deciding! :) I'm 26 weeks pregnant and have two contenders, but I think I'll wait until her birth to decide for sure. One is heavily inspired by a family member and the other is TOTALLY off the wall...creative and funky but maybe *too* unique?

""

Reply by Nicole

author of Red Lotus Mama 7/5/2012 4:10:14 PM
The day we found out we were having a girl is the day we decided a name. We wanted to use family names and ended up using my (at the time) husband's step father's last name: Delaney. My dad's name is Noel, so we picked a Hawaiian that means "daughter sent from heaven" for her middle name: Noelani. P.S. I love the photo you chose for the birth announcement!

I am hesitant to admit that Lily's middle name, Grace, was partially after WIll & Grace. : )

""

Reply by Kate

author of San Diego Deals and Steals 7/5/2012 6:49:56 PM
Our youngest is adopted and her name honors both her birth parents - her birth father's name is Charles so we went with "Charlotte" for her first name - her birth mother's name is Leslie - we weren't a huge fan of Leslie so we jumbled the letters up and went with "Elise" - congrats on your beautiful new addition!

""

Reply by Laura

7/5/2012 11:36:44 PM
My Daughter's name is: Isabella Catherine Nicole Frontiero. I know, longest name ever. I love for a name to have meaning and that is why 'Bella's' is so long. Catherine is my mother and Nicole is the middle name of the midwife who delivered Bella, who happens to also be my best friend. Bella knows the meaning of her name and tells the story proudly.

""

Reply by Kirsten

author of It IS all about me 7/6/2012 9:08:26 PM
Sadie Rogue Moore. My dad used to talk about his favorite cousin, Sada Rae and I always thought that was a cool name. I chose Sadie based on that. The middle name is often misunderstood by people. Yes, she is named after Rogue from the X-Men. But if my favorite character had been Wolverine that would NOT have been her name. LOL. So..I like the character and her name so we have Sadie Rogue. Odd discovery after she was born. I found out that Sadie is a form of Sarah...which is her older sister's name. Complete coincidence.

""

Reply by Nancy

7/7/2012 4:31:48 PM
My oldest son was named after my husband best friend who was killed at the very end of the Vietman war. He was a medic and his helicopter went down. My youngest son is named Christopher because he is a miracle! I thought I would never get pregnant again but after nine years I did. The first 6 letters of his name spell Christ. I wanted to always to remember where the miracle came from.

Reply to Conversation

-OR-

Join & Reply Switch to the simple version

< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS