Community Header
< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS

Math Curriculum Suggestions?

Started by Kelly , author of Wisdom Begun 2/22/2010 5:46:36 AM
Hi all!

I am looking at what I should buy for the next level of mathematics for my 1st grader. For Kindergarten we used Bob Jones which we loved, though it was a bit expensive. I thought I would try something different and am using Horizons math for her for 1st grade. I don't care for it and I find the methods they use to teach aren't reaching through to her. I more than likely will choose Bob Jones again for next year instead.

However, what are YOUR suggestions? What have YOU used for mathematics for the younger years? Please share!

Share Conversation

Embed
+ Login to choose updates by email

Replies

Viewing 1 - 3 of 3
""

Reply by Ali

author of an ordinary mom 2/22/2010 10:44:57 PM

I used and liked Saxon with my oldest, but have since fallen in LOVE with Math-U-See and recommend it to anyone who'll listen :-)

They have a free dvd demo to check it out and really see what it's like ahead of time.

""

Reply by Kelly

author of Wisdom Begun 2/26/2010 8:47:45 AM
I have hear so many great things about Math-U-See. However, I have also heard that it is so different to teach, and such a different learning style, that it makes it hard for a child to learn from "regular" textbook-style math curricula. What do you think?

""

Reply by Ali

author of an ordinary mom 2/26/2010 10:36:26 PM

Well, my current 10 yr old transitioned from Math-U-See Gamma to Saxon 54 with no issues so far...

It is different, in a very good way.  The manipulatives are incorporated so well into the program- they are not just an accessory, which they can seem to be in many programs.  The way they are used to really visualize things like place value and even multiplication really impressed me (and I was a math nerd in high school, I lettered on our Math Team both years I participated- yes, there are competetive math teams, and yes, I was on one, lol!)

I guess I don't see it making it harder to transition back to a regular text style, unless you mean that a child wouldn't like the boring text :-)  I think it gives such a good foundation that anything you may use afterwards will be that much easier... at least that's what I'm seeing right now.

Reply to Conversation

-OR-

Join & Reply Switch to the simple version

< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS