Community Header
< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS

Should my husband and I start trying for another baby?

Started by Laura , author of Just For Love 5/14/2010 2:33:56 AM
Hi ladies,

I am 100% serious in asking this question. We already have a wonderful 21 month old son named Parker. I absolutely LOVE being a mom, and my husband loves being a dad. We are very happy with our current lifestyle of having just one child. We rent a 2 bedroom townhouse right across the street from my sister. So, you know...life is good. I finally have Parker to an age where he's a little older, talking more, loves running around with me, etc. But we're starting to get that baby-itch again, you know? My little babe is getting older now, and I most definitely want him to have a sibling (my hubby does too). I would like to wait just to keep things easy for a while, but I definitely don't want to wait too long just to start all over again. We definitely want another child. So, I guess I'm asking advice from the mom's who already have 2 or more kiddos. How did life change? Was it way easier because you were already a mom, or did it still bring new challenges you weren't expecting? If we conceive that would most definitely mean we would have to move. But, is that really even a problem? Life is short and I want another baby. So whaddya think? Yes or No? Pleeeaaase tell me about your personal experience with it. Thanks in advance!

Love,

Share Conversation

Embed
+ Login to choose updates by email

Replies

Viewing 1 - 2 of 2
""

Reply by Flamingo

author of 1crazyjourney.com 5/14/2010 7:24:18 AM

yes!  :) 

i was blessed and had no problems getting pregnant.  however, i have had friends that have no problem round 1 and are can not conceive round 2.  i only add this part to the discussion because there are no guarantees in life.  you may become pregnant the 1st month..but it may also take a year.

my 1st 2 kids are 22 months apart.  (i have 4 kids now).  for me number 2 was the most "overwhelming".  baby #1, i had no idea what i was doing but it wasn' too bad.  baby #2, i suddnely had to learn to juggle.  like learning to nurse in target while my 2 year old ran around:)

kiddo number 3 came when my second was almost 3 years old.   i found number 3 to be the easiest transistion by far...which quickly led us to kiddo number 4 (who we adopted from China last year at age 3)

so did life change with number 2?  yes.  i found things to get more hectic and the parenting i thought was easy peasy suddenly no longer was. 

however, the craziness only lasts for so long and next thing you know you are putting them on the school bus. 

it is soooo worth it.  i would have another baby if i could:)

""

Reply by Laura

author of Just For Love 5/14/2010 8:28:04 AM
Thank you so much! I truly appreciate your input and advice. And, you're right...it can take a while to conceive. That's why I thought we should start trying now. It was insanely easy for us to conceive Parker. We honestly didn't even actively try, we just said we wanted a baby, and a month later I was pregnant.

As far as learning the juggle act, that is exactly what I was wondering about! I thought, 'Hmmm, am I going to think I've got it all together and then, BAM, be completely overwhelmed by 2 kids?'

I'd like to think I wouldn't feel that way. To be honest, Parker was the hard one for me. Well, he wasn't hard...he was a very pleasant baby. He was a great eater, sleeper, etc. I think motherhood was hard for me because I lost my own mother to cancer during my first pregnancy. 

She was sick during my pregnancy, suffering greatly after he was born, and then passed away when he was only 5 months old. It was very difficult for me to get used to motherhood while my own mother was dying. I'm so thankful that the Lord helped me through all of it. He is a wonderful heavenly Father.

I'm pretty well adjusted to having 2 kids at the same time. I watch my nephew full time (my sister is working on her bachelor's). My nephew is 3 and my son is 21 months. We've had this arrangement for the past year or so. Before that I watched my 7 year old niece, and my other 3 year old nephew full time during the summer. 

I realize that it's not quite the same though. The other kids still went home at the end of the day! If we had 2 kids, I couldn't just give the second one back, haha. :-)

I think the best thing I can do is make it a matter of prayer, and just start trying I guess. I'm not on birth control and haven't been for over a year now (wasn't on it before Parker, got on it after, and then stopped because I do REALLY bad w/any extra added hormones. Lol). Hopefully that will help make the conceiving process a lot easier.

I definitely know I want another baby, and I am so thankful to be able to have the option, you know? So many other women aren't able to say the same, and my heart aches for them. I feel incredibly fortunate to be a mother. I love being a mommy.

A friend of mine had a fiance that recently battled ovary cancer. Thankfully she recovered and is in remission. She will live, but can no longer have children. They are very upset they waited over 6 years to get married and didn't start trying for children sooner. 

See, that's the thing...life is so unpredictable. I just kind of feel like its "time" and I don't want to allow silly things, such as convenience to get in the way of us having another baby. Who cares if it's going to be a little more stressful. When is parenting not a little overwhelming at times?

Wow. Sorry I wrote a book on here! 

Again, thanks so much for taking the time to answer my question. I really appreciate it.

Love and blessings to you!
~Laura

Reply to Conversation

-OR-

Join & Reply Switch to the simple version
Please review the rules of this community before posting:

Be kind! Golden rule!

< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS