Community Header
< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS

Is It Your Kids or Your Husband That Doesn't Eat Healthy?

Started by Angela , author of Mommy PR 9/6/2011 2:00:10 AM

I have not had too much trouble with my girls thankfully. Ariel is in love with broccoli, and Jasy will eat pretty much anything green. I, myself, even love Brussels sprouts. Its really my husband who is the kid of the family and tries to get out of eating anything healthy.

To help, I sneak in different things. For pasta, I try to use fiber filled noodles, or chunky sauce. He usually notices the sauce, but every now and then I can get away with it. The girl like it either way. Or If I make stuffed peppers, I mix up some veggies in the hamburger, that way if they try to skip the pepper, they have no idea whats hidden inside!

It also helps that I stock the fridge with mini water bottles for the girls, and Poweraid for my husband. We are big on yogurts and fruit, so its pretty unlimited if they want it.

Now, if only they made veggi hotdogs that I could switch on my husband!

Share how you get your kids to eat healthy food below for a chance to win a $500 Mom’s Getaway Spa Day from BlogFrog!

Want to exchange more healthy snacks ideas, money saving tips and back to school shopping advice with other moms? Visit the Horizon® Healthy Families Back to School Community

This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Horizon.  The opinions expressed by me do not necessarily reflect the view of the Horizon Organic brand. 

Share Conversation

Embed
+ Login to choose updates by email

Replies

Viewing 1 - 4 of 4
""

Reply by Kristin

9/6/2011 5:41:32 PM
The best way to get your family to eat healthy food is stealth, pure and simple. It's the only way to sneak in veggies to my kiddos and my hubby. The girls will eat a good variety of vegetables with just a little prodding, but my hubby is much more stubborn than they are. I heavily use both the blender and the food processor to sneak vegetables into everyday dishes. I put baby spinach in berry smoothies, baby carrots & nonfat yogurt into strawberry-peach smoothies, and make all of our sauces from scratch. Diced tomatoes sauteed along with red bell peppers, baby spinach, mushrooms, carrots, and yellow squash makes a very pretty marinara sauce for spaghetti with loads of hidden nutrients. As long as no one actually catches me sneaking the healthy stuff in, no one ever has cause to complain because it's so yummy! Making desserts with healthy ingredients is another option. Make brownies from scratch with non-alkalized cocoa, a can of chickpeas, and unsweetened organic applesauce instead of cooking oil. I guarantee that no one will notice the difference, and you will probably get compliments on the creamy texture of the brownies!

""

Reply by Heather

9/6/2011 6:00:33 PM
In our family, I'm actually the healthy food dodger. Guilty!! Ironically, I just posted an entire article on my blog yesterday with tips and tricks to get a picky toddler to try new foods! I suggest a variety of tactics-- anything from getting them involved in the meal planning and shopping, to inventive preparation and leading by example. You can find the entire article on MamaDish here... http://bit.ly/quXwHK

""

Reply by Miranda

9/6/2011 7:47:50 PM
Actually, I am the one in the family that does not like healthy food. I grew up hating it and and still fight with it. I try to make an example with my daughter that it is good to eat healthy food but I struggle. I don't want to make the same mistake with my daughter with healthy foods. I stay consistent with having my 20 month old try new foods. But I don't get discouraged if she does not eat them, I just give her some baby food veggies and fruits. She is having a difficult time with textures but we work on them. I refuse to stop cold turkey with the baby food because I do not want her to go without. Because we still do this, she is used to food flavors and it is getting easier for her to like more foods. She does not get sweets very often at all, and her favorite treats have become veggie chips (dried veggies). She rather have a veggie chip compared to cookies or potato chips which I think is great.

""

Reply by jolly

9/6/2011 9:50:39 PM
my husband! i try to stop him from eating fatty foods most of the time because of his hbc, but he's stubborn! i told him what's gonna happen to me and our baby when he's gone! he's should think about his health too, that's unselfishness!

Reply to Conversation

-OR-

Join & Reply Switch to the simple version

< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS